HIV Poz Cop

I was just reading a question to another doc on this forum from a police officer who says he got HIV while arresting someone who was HIV poz. I always hate to doubt people as I hate when people doubt me. He obviously reads this site and I don't want to come off as doubting his story.

Having said that, do you know how common police officers are infected while arresting someone HIV poz? It would seem like the officer would have had to have gotten a lot of blood on himself from the poz person or stuck with a drug needle. He doesn't explain how it happened. He says he didn't know he was poz until recently and went back through reports and found this HIV incident from 10 years prior. I know many of us want to believe we got the virus from some non-sexual incident.

Again, I hate when people question what I know to be true. However, if he didn't get stuck with a needle, it is hard for me to believe he contracted the virus from just booking an HIV poz person. If he had gotten blood on him or stuck with a needle from someone they knew was HIV poz, it would seem they would have tested him after the incident. After reading your forum for so long, it is hard for me to believe he got HIV from just arresting someone poz--unless there is something he didn't mention. If there was something he didn't mention about the arrest, I don't understand why nothing was done when they knew the guy was HIV poz.

Sorry, but since I have no way of knowing to which "question to another doc on this forum" you are specifically referring, I really can't comment! However, I would tend to agree with your line of logic, based solely on what's written in your question.

PLEASE READ... Rape Victim
blood transmission on intact skin