Question about symptoms of Lipodystrophy.

Dr. Frascino,

Have you ever had a patient diagnosed HIV negative, but who has symptoms of Lipodystrophy or Lipoatrophy that keep them testing for HIV? This is the main reason I keep testing and am very frustrated.

Also have you had patients who have HIV and whose immune systems are doing well, yet are experiencing Lipoatrophy or Lipodystrophy due to the virus itself and are not on meds yet?

I've have been tested 11 times total, 3 of them were six years after possible exposure.

Thanks.

M.

Hello M,

Lipodystrophy (lipohypertrophy and/or lipoatrophy)-type symptoms can be seen in conditions other than HIV/AIDS. It's telling that you claim to be "frustrated," because you keep testing HIV negative! You seem to have convinced yourself you must be HIV infected and are increasingly annoyed the HIV test hasn't confirmed your belief!

M, take a step back and look at the facts. You've tested HIV negative 11 times (11 times!) out to six years (six years!)!!! You just can't get any more negative than that! Frevinsakes!!! The evidence is now overwhelming and irrefutable. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV testing is warranted. (You've had way too many already.)

I can't diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet, but I can advise you with great certainty what is not causing your symptoms: it's not HIV! If you cannot stop perseverating on this disease that you could not possibly have, you should seek psychotherapy (counseling) to help you accept the truly wonderful reality of your HIV-negative status.

For any ongoing symptoms, you should follow up with a good internal medicine physician for evaluation and management.

Partner of two years bareback
How are you Dr. Bob?