Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

About you, dr. Bob
May 5, 2010

Hello, doc!!! I'm the guy from Brazil and I'm here for a differente reason.

I would like to know how YOU are, doc. I haven't almost believed when I read about your occupacional accident.

You are an example!!! A wonderful person that is so busy but still gets time to help others, to share your knowledge with everyone, to calm down anxious people, to give a friendly word...

Talking about "friendly", I consider you as my friend, even not knowing you personally. (sorry for any english mistakes).

But, in this question, I would really like to know how YOU are, doc, ok? And let me know another thing. I've heard you talking about the chances to be + in a needle stick is something around 1 in 300. Is it with or without PEP?

With your answers, I learned that I don't have to be affraid to get buses, to put my hands on surfaces, to shake hands, to use cinema seats, to hug and even to kiss. I'm still afraid of razors (the subject of my other questions)... :(

I still have some questions (I've sent it to you), but I'm sure you'll answer it sometime (thank you since now!!!!)

I would like to donate, but can I do it from here in Brazil? If so, what do I need to do?

Thank you very very much and be very well!!!!!

From you friend

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Brazil Guy,

Many thanks for your concern! I prefer not to spend time discussing my personal situation here, as this forum is supposed to be about all of you, not me! I have begun a blog on this site in which I'll share a bit more about my personal situation, including some of the trials and tribulations of coexisting with a virus that wants nothing more than to plant me six feet under! As for if I'm "OK," well, I strive never to complain, as I'm always delighted to be "on this side of the dirt," so to speak. I do consider my time here to be a gift and I try to emulate George Bernard Shaw's attitude. (See below.)

To respond to your occupational-risk question, the 1 in 300 statistical risk is without PEP. However, with all types of HIV transmission there are many confounding variables that influence the estimated risk statistics. These would include both viral factors (viral strain, viral load, etc.) and host factors (immune integrity, concurrent illnesses, etc.)

I'm delighted you've learned not to be afraid of casual contact HIV transmission. In short HIV is not transmitted by casual contact. As for razors, HIV is a fragile virus that does not survive very long at all outside the body. We don't recommend sharing razors with folks who are HIV positive; however, the actual HIV-transmission risk from razors is extremely slight.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at (www.concertedeffort.org). We accept PayPal, credit cards, direct wire transfers from bank to bank, cash, appreciated securities, cashier's checks (any currency), diamond mines, oil wells, old spaceships, you name it!

Finally, sure, we can be BFFs ("best friends forever")!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. The being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy . . . . Life is no brief candle for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Previous
A Stupid Act Yesterday (from Hong Kong)
Next
Panretin Gel use. Stop or Continue?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.