I have convinced myself I am the next one, please help.

Dr.Bob, I read your response to another person question regarding the woman with the fatal hiv encephalitis. I am upset by this and I know I probably shouldn't be. Here is what has me going crazy. I too have hypothyroidism, hashimotos to be exact, and I suffer depression. Now that said I am a functioning adult who lives a normal life, I do not abuse alcohol or drugs, and have never been in prison. I was tested after I was with what my obgyn coined a high risk male partner. My Doc has assured me I am fine, but now I see this. Can you shed some light on this for me? I realize it is rare, but I too have ailments that she had. I would love to make a annual donation to your site, it is weel worth the advice you offer all of us.

Sorry, I don't recall exactly which question you are referring to. (I've answered gazillions of questions over the years and they are all in the archives.) Perhaps you could copy the question and my response or send the link when you resubmit your question.

I should also point out that if you've had a negative HIV-antibody test outside the window period, you are definitively and conclusively HIV negative, even if you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and depression.

Thanks for your support of the mission of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org), which is to provide crucial services for men, women, and children living with HIV and to promote HIV awareness and prevention through education and advocacy.

Be well.

A note of thanks
Home Access HIV test