Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared straight? 3 Years of fear - followed your advice - Please read Bob.
Apr 24, 2010

Possible exposure on Sept. 29, 2006 at 12:30 AM. Elevated liver enzymes in Feb 2007. Negative B, C, and HIV anitbodies. Tested negative 6 months, 14 months and 30 months (last test antibody being April 2009)with no other exposure since intial exposure in Sept. 2006. I was tested for Heb B anitbodies positive in April 2009, but this was after military Hep B innoculations. Question 1: Elevated liver enzymes after unprotected sexual exposure, but no antibodies 6, 14, & 30 months later? Conclusive for Hep C and HIV? Questions 2: Still have pain in upper right abdomen, but negative at 30 months post exposure? Thoughts? Question 3: Is 30 months post exposure negative to Hep C and HIV anitbodies adequate, or shall I continue to test?

My fear is that I had a genuine possible exposure (unprotected receptive with unkown serostatus), with high enzymes 5 months later. Why elevated, with no HIV or Hep C antibodies, even out to 30 months. Could I have had hep B acute and cleared, because now have hep b antibodies? Sorry so lengthy, but too scared for too long, and 4 tests over 30 months. Am I worried and unwell? Or just a worried well? By the way, it was STUPID, and only once. Learned the hard way (no PUN) and have never done it since fall 2006. Unfortuantely, not even tried it since then. Thank you Doctor Bob.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. Yes, conclusively negative.

2. I'm unable to diagnose conditions over the Internet without the benefit of a physical examination. I'd suggest you follow up with your general internist. One thing is certain: HIV is not the cause of your problem!

3. No additional testing for HIV or hepatitis C is warranted, unless you have another lapse in judgement!

4. There are many reasons for transiently elevated liver enzyme tests; too many martinis, for instance. Once you've eliminated hepatitis and HIV from the list of possibilities, you need to look elsewhere for the cause of your abnormal laboratory tests.

5. Worried well. Although you should have a routine follow up of your liver function tests to see if they have normalized.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Resubmitted Per your request....You're the Greatest Dr. Bob...Ton's of anxiety, please help me out!
Next
PLEASE- second time posting!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.