re: disability

If you have HIV/AIDS and cannot work, you may qualify for disability benefits from the Social Security Administration. Your disability must be expected to last at least a year or end in death, and must be serious enough to prevent you from doing substantial gainful work. The amount of earnings we consider substantial and gainful changes each year. For the current figure, refer to the annual Update (Publication No. 05-10003). See: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10019.html

Thanks. I'm assuming the questioner is claiming disability due to back pain rather than HIV/AIDS. Most HIV physician specialists are well versed in this area. However, I'm happy to pass this information on to the questioner just in case he or his physicians are unaware of rules and regulations.

Disability Apr 23, 2010

I am HIV pos and have a bad back injury do to being hit by a car, I cant even sit for long period in a lot of pain I am 45 years old I have worked hard most of my life I have over 40 quarters paid in the SS. I am on my forth doctor because these doctors do not want to order the exams to find out and diagnose me they just want me to take all these pills, telling me most people have back problems . I have not worked in the past five years, and continue to be denied by SSD and SSI. I feel doctors work on behalf of the Gov to keep you from your benefits I could go on thanks you for any help.

I can assure you that your private physicians do not work on behalf of the government or anyone to deny your benefits! (Insurance companies, perhaps, but not doctors!) I also find it hard to believe four separate physicians are failing to order the proper exams to make a proper diagnosis! None of that makes any sense whatsoever.

If you feel you are disabled due to your HIV disease, talk to your HIV specialist about disability. If you feel you are disabled due to back pain from an auto accident, see a neurologist. They are the pain specialists. You could also contact a disability lawyer; however, if your own physicians don't feel you qualify for disability, it's going to be difficult to convince the Social Security Administration.

Hi Doctor Bob - Dirty Husband again - Please answer
Resubmitted Per your request....You're the Greatest Dr. Bob...Ton's of anxiety, please help me out!