1st Atripla Results

Dr Bob- Several months ago, my partner discovered he was HIV+ when he developed PCP. Cd4 was 69 and Viral Load 500,000. I wrote to you at that time and you were very helpful. This forum is a gift.

He began Atripla six weeks ago. Results came back today: Cd4 280 Viral Load 400 but not undetectable.

Is this good progress given his initial diagnosis? Can we be hopefuly for increasing CD4 count and reducing viral load to undetectable? Or do you think this is about as good as it will get.

He's 35 yrs old. I remain fearful of what to expect in the near future.

Thanks for your advice.

I'm delighted you found the information here helpful.

Regarding your partner's response to Atripla, it's extremely encouraging. Virologically, his HIV plasma viral load has plummeted from 500,000 to 400. Immunologically, his CD4 count has quadrupled from 69 to 280 within six weeks. This is an excellent response to treatment. I would anticipate he'll have an undetectable viral load soon and that his CD4 count will continue to rise.

Don't "remain fearful of what to expect in the next future." Just become informed about HIV/AIDS, its clinical course, treatments and HIV monitoring tests. This site has a wealth of information in its archives and on the related links. Have a look.

Continued close follow up with an experienced HIV physician specialist is warranted, but all is going well (very well!) at the moment.

I'm here if you or your partner need me, OK?

Am I overreacting?
Hi Doctor Bob - Dirty Husband again - Please answer