Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

You seem like the man to ask Dr. Bob
Apr 23, 2010

Hi Dr. Bob, I feel really guilty coming on here asking you a question. I know how busy you are and what valuable work you do. Sorry to take up you time. My situation is 6 months ago I had unprotected sex with a HIV+ female. Very drunk, so very drunk. After realising the gravity of my mistake I went on nPEP - 2 drugs Convir or something similar?? sorry. 2 months post exposure I had strange symptoms including swollen lymph nodes, night sweats, fatigue etc. At this time i tested negative for HIV, MONO or CMV. However i did have high levels of biliruben but with normal liver function. At 3 months post exposure I developed a white tongue, especially on the sides, I then tested negative for HIV and oral thrush. At six months I tested negative for HIV, however my tongue is very uncomfortable, I have a very dry mouth and white lines that look very much like OHL, im not the type to get worried easily, but this looks like OHL for real. I also tested - to Hep C at this point. My doc is says my 6 month HIV test is conclusive and not to worry because tongues often look strange and the inside of everyones mouth is different and constantly changing. At 6 months I really want to Woo Hoo. However im worried about my tongue, its quite uncomfortable (low level burning sensation and OHL looking lines). My questions to you Dr. Bob are, all my tests have been antibody tests, is it possible some people may be + but it never shows up in antibody tests. And can people have OHL without HIV? thankyou for your help sir. Cheers, much appriciated.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your repeated negative HIV-antibody tests out to six months are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able. A negative FDA-approved antibody test outside the window period trumps symptoms each and every time.

Whatever is causing your tongue symptoms, one thing is certain: It's not HIV. If your tongue continues to bother you, see an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) physician for an evaluation. Yes, people can have OHL and OHL-like conditions without being HIV positive. (You are a good example of this!)

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Disability
Next
Terrified

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.