You seem like the man to ask Dr. Bob

Hi Dr. Bob, I feel really guilty coming on here asking you a question. I know how busy you are and what valuable work you do. Sorry to take up you time. My situation is 6 months ago I had unprotected sex with a HIV+ female. Very drunk, so very drunk. After realising the gravity of my mistake I went on nPEP - 2 drugs Convir or something similar?? sorry. 2 months post exposure I had strange symptoms including swollen lymph nodes, night sweats, fatigue etc. At this time i tested negative for HIV, MONO or CMV. However i did have high levels of biliruben but with normal liver function. At 3 months post exposure I developed a white tongue, especially on the sides, I then tested negative for HIV and oral thrush. At six months I tested negative for HIV, however my tongue is very uncomfortable, I have a very dry mouth and white lines that look very much like OHL, im not the type to get worried easily, but this looks like OHL for real. I also tested - to Hep C at this point. My doc is says my 6 month HIV test is conclusive and not to worry because tongues often look strange and the inside of everyones mouth is different and constantly changing. At 6 months I really want to Woo Hoo. However im worried about my tongue, its quite uncomfortable (low level burning sensation and OHL looking lines). My questions to you Dr. Bob are, all my tests have been antibody tests, is it possible some people may be + but it never shows up in antibody tests. And can people have OHL without HIV? thankyou for your help sir. Cheers, much appriciated.

Your repeated negative HIV-antibody tests out to six months are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able. A negative FDA-approved antibody test outside the window period trumps symptoms each and every time.

Whatever is causing your tongue symptoms, one thing is certain: It's not HIV. If your tongue continues to bother you, see an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) physician for an evaluation. Yes, people can have OHL and OHL-like conditions without being HIV positive. (You are a good example of this!)

Be well.

Disability
Terrified