Blood splash in nostril

Dear Dr. Bob. I hope you are doing well. I want to know your opinion regarding exposure of minimum quanity of blood mixed with saline that had splashed and hit my right nostril. I was performing a nail avulsion of an ingrown toenail and when attempting to rinse the nail following my procedure, the high pressure syringe caused a splash that hit my right nostril. I discussed with employee health and they had recommended (source was unknown) no need for PEP and to follow-up in 3 months. Do you agree and what would you access my overall risk for disease transmission. Thank you for your support and I look forward to hearing your response.

I would agree with the assessment you received. HIV antibody testing at baseline, three months and six months is recommended. I agree PEP was not warranted. Sometimes the source patient will agree to rapid HIV testing in situations such as these.

eye splash exposure with HIV and hepatitis infected blood
Follow-up to "please assess my risk"