need help to understand this labs
Apr 18, 2010
Two months ago I developed a white corrugated lesion on the left side on my tongue. Well, it was a good warning to help me quit smoking, I thought. Some weeks later I started to have a visible skin problem that according to information found on the Web is 100% similar to seborrheic dermatitis (that I never had before). I started to think about it and look back to potential past exposures to HIV after May 2006 (the last time I tested for HIV, months after some risky behaviours). Since then I always had protected sex, only one time 16 months ago when I was totally drunk with a sex workers I'm sure I used a condom, but I do not know how correctly and consistently. Meanwhile the lesion on the tongue did not heal, even if I quit definitevely smoking. So I decided to see my doctor that recommended me some test. Between them my white cells count was: - total lymphocytes: 51% - a.v. 3519 - total T lymphocytes (CD3+): 75% - a.v. 2639 - CD4+: 40% - a.v. 1408 - CD8+: 35% - a.v. 1231 - CD4/CD8 ratio: 1,14 - lymphocytes NK: 10% - a.v 352 - total B lymphocytes: 12% - a.v 422.
Looking at The Body website / forums this labs seem normal. Doctor in your opinion this results could be compatible with being HIV+ from 16 months and having oral hairy leukoplakia and seborrheic dermatitis? Please answer, I'm very scared about it and I could not see my doctor until next week. For sure next week I will also get tested again for HIV.
Response from Dr. Frascino
Your HIV-acquisition risk is very low. I have no idea why your doctor ordered a T-cell subset analysis. There was no clinical indication to do so. Your results are predictably normal.
My advice is simple:
1. If you feel you've placed yourself potentially at risk for HIV, get an HIV-antibody test three months or longer from the date of last exposure.
2. Continue to stay off cigarettes. Smoking would kill you in a very painful and undignified fashion if you resumed this deadly habit.
3. Follow up with a dermatologist for evaluation and management of your skin problem.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Muscle Ache A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Bronchitis After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Ear Infection After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Pain In Balls After Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore On Penis After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- What Age Group Is More Likely To Have Or Catch Genital Herpes?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.