The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I can't believe she is not HIV+

Apr 18, 2010

Dr. I have recently been diagnosed after trying to get additional insurance and having a blood test done. After I received a call from the state health board and meeting with them they finally told me the results of my test. The insurance company refuse to inform me and wrote to the state instead. Can't believe they did that but, the question is my current GF has been tested also and she is NOT +. Should she be tested again or is she OK. I can't believe after all the times we have been together she is not +. Can some people have immunity to this desease?

Response from Dr. Frascino


It is possible that you are HIV positive and despite having multiple episodes of unprotected sex, have not infected your girlfriend. Not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission (thankfully). Your girlfriend will need follow-up HIV-antibody testing at both the three- and six-month marks from the date of last exposure to confirm her negative status.

Regarding your positive test, there is a names reporting law that states that all HIV-positive tests must be reported to the health department. You can read more about this in the archives. I'd also suggest you read through the "Just Diagnosed" chapter that can be accessed on The Body's homepage. You'll need to have your HIV test confirmed, and, if positive, establish care with an HIV physician specialist.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me, OK?

Dr. Bob

HIV after sex
Shall I take PEP?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint