Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

bone graft and hiv risk
Apr 17, 2010

Dr. Bob, Love your site and would be more than happy to donate to your great work. Here is my question, I feel I am at no risk. I just want some confirmation. I had a root canal several years ago and had a crown placed on the tooth. The crown came off and my dentist recommended an inplant. I had the tooth extracted and a bone graft was done with puros, which is cadaver bone. Four days later I had swelling in the gum and severe pain. The oral surgeon gave me an antibiotic, he did mention that this can happen but it is rare. I then became concerned about hiv/hepatitis risk from the bone product. Is this even a worry and does it warrant testing? I know that bone grafting is used all the time in dental offices and orthopedic surgeries, I think the infection threw me for a loop. I am married and have children and this seems to be consuming me, do you think I am ok?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I agree with your assumptions: "no risk!" HIV/hepatitis screening is not warranted.

Relax Max! All is well, including you!

Dr. Bob

Previous
I HATE THE INTERNET -- But I lover You're site -- Help me Please Dr. Bob - The ONLY ONE to trust! Part 2
Next
Hi Dr. Bob, love the site, please respond :)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.