Update 3 lives in danger

Hi Dr. Bob How are you? Sorry to be writing again and I'll try and be brief. I saw an Infectious Disease Specialist who ran a CD4 test on me. The results were CD4 of 1318, a CD4% of 46% and she said the CD4/CD8 ratio was normal. A CBC also showed my WBC at 9.2 She said with these results there is no way I have hiv. She said if I had untreated hiv infection for the last 6 years my CD4 count would be in the toilet. Is this true? Just wanted to know your opinion. It's greatly appreciated. Also, They put me on Zoloft and I have some counseling scheduled. I just can't get over the similiarity between hiv symptoms and the symptoms me, my wife, and poor daughter are having. Thanks, Dr Bob

My opinion hasn't changed. In fact, it's remained remarkably consistent. (See below.) I think Zoloft is an excellent idea!

Update from 2004 3 lives in danger one is daughter Feb 21, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob

I am glad to see you are doing well and still helping people out. I am losing my mind and ruining my life and I need your help. My exposure was with an asian sex worker in Germany. Protected sex for five minutes (caught herpes) and finger in butt a couple of times (don't know if there was anything on her finger) About 2-3 weeks I had symptoms I believed to be ARS. Since then I have had 27 tests that include 19 antibody, 1 PCR DNA, and 7 NAT tests all negative. Everything has been well and the only thing that I found to be weird was little hairlike projections on the side of my tongue. (Getting worse and more noticeable over the past 6 years) Now it is really noticeable. Is it normal to have this? Could these just be taste buds? Are there hundreds of taste buds on the side of the tongue that can resemble hairy tongue, which I also have had since six months past incident. I have not had any herpes outbreaks until this January that seemed to last forever, itching in groin like a yeast infection, very fatigued lately, headaches, etc. If it was just me I would think nothing of it, but my wife has been having problems as well. Hairy tongue, yeast infections when she use to have none, and weird skin problems (like pimple outbreaks, but not pimples, and psorasis. My daughter has also been getting sick lately. Very often coughing and whizzing in chest, high fevers up to 103 at some points lasting for over a week, vomitting, diareha, and trouble learning in school and remembering things, even though she is very smart. Everything seems to fit that these symptoms would appear in all of us at the 5-7 year early/medium stage hiv disease. Yet all the tests come back negative. I have been checked for every other STD to include Hepatitis A,B, and C. It is wierd that not only I am having these symptoms but them as well. These tests I have had would detect HIV1 subtypes A-G, HIV 2, and Group O infection, so I don't know what is going on with me and them. It is driving me crazy. I read through forums and found only one other guy that had an exposure in Thailand who also had white hairlike projections on side of tongue. Is this OHL? Does it sound like OHL? or normal physical findings? I thought the side of the tongue is smooth and everything I read suggests what I have is OHL and it looks like the pictures of it. PLEASE Dr. Bob, I need your guidance on what this could be and what is wrong with me and my family. If it was a rare strain or subtype, would this tests detect it, even in the slightest way. I can't go on living like this and really need your help. Thank you so much.

You've had 27 negative HIV tests including an undetectable PCR DNA and 7 undetectable NATs!!! Wow, are you trying to get into the Guinness Book of World Records or what? Exactly what part of "HIV negative" are you having difficulty understanding?

I cannot diagnose your tongue condition over the Internet. Show it to your doctor and/or dentist. Most likely it's normal. One thing I can tell you over the Internet: It's not related to HIV, frevinsakes!!!

What's wrong with you? Well, for one thing you continue to perseverate on a disease you could not possibly have. Consequently, you have a psychological problem accepting reality. This most likely is related to guilt. You may well also have depression and psychosomatic illness. I would suggest you consider seeing a psychiatrist as your next step back to good health and well being.

3 lives in danger, one is my infant daughter Oct 27, 2004

Dear Dr Bob, I pray that this question finds you. I need your help so badly. Back in July I had protected sex with a high risk person. Very high risk. This lady also asked if I wanted a massage and I agreed she then stuck what I assume was her finger in my anus twice. Inserted and pulled out and then inserted again. Prior to engaging in sex with this person I noticed a big black circular spot near her genitals. I didn't think much of it but realized this was a sign of KS later on after doing much reading. Anyways, I didn't think much of it but a couple of days later I started to have alot of tingling, itching and bumps on the base of my penis. Okay well I got herpes, no big deal right, it is a virus that will not kill you. But then at one week I had diareha, still I wasn't too concerned. At two weeks loss of apetite, fever, naseau. At three weeks I had dry mouth for a week and three little red circular apthous ulcers at the roof of my mouth that lasted about a month. At four weeks I had joint pain in my knee caps. Mostly my right knee that lasted for one week. Also at three weeks I had one red spot on my stomach that lasted for a few days. It itched a little and went away. I had sex with my wife. Stupid I know. But had no reason to suspect I had hiv. Yes I have told her all about my encounter. She has also experienced problems such as pain in feet, for over a month now and she had diareha with blood and abdominal cramping. Now at a little over three months post exposure. I have purple and red pinhead sized spots and bumps that are showing up in my mouth on my inner cheek. I also have what appears to be red band gingivitis. It is a red band where my gum meets my teeth. I am scared Dr please help me. I had a cheap military test done for herpes at 3 weeks and 11 weeks 4 days which came back negative. Yet at 15 weeks the doc inspected me and told me that I indeed had herpes. At 11 weeks 4 days I also had a cheap(1st generation) hiv test done which came back negative. I also did a home access test at 12 weeks which came back negative. Well here is my concern. My herpes antibody tests were negative inspite of me having herpes, so I have no faith in the hiv test that I took at 12 weeks. I had more blood drawn for hiv 15 weeks 2 days post exposure and should be getting those results back soon. My questions are these. 1.Should I have faith in my hiv test at 12 weeks even though my herpes test came back negative? 2.Do my symptoms sound like ars to you? 3.This purple spots and bumps in my mouth that are painless and show up in a matter of one day from inspection of my mouth sound like oral ks? 4.My wife has been checked for hemroids, and just had a colonoscopy today which turned up nothing , so is it possible that she has got ks in the gut? I read that diareha , bleeding and abdominal cramps are a sign of this and that is what she complained of having. Please Dr Bob I have been reading your forum for quite sometime now and know you are a wonderful man. I need your advice and your input on my situation. I need to find out now what is going on so I can get me and more importantly my family the help that we need. Me and my wife are in our early twenties and have never had any medical problems before my screw up. Please help me with an answer. Thank you Dr. Bob If all turns out well I will be donating no less than $200 to your foundation, and $100 if something is wrong because I will need the money for the meds. Once again thank you and I will be praying that this question finds you. Sincerly, A very worried individual

Since your sex was "protected," there should be essentially no risk of HIV transmission, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. The finger in the butt massage maneuver is not considered a risk for HIV transmission, no matter how "very high risk" the masseuse was. The "black circular spot near her genitals" was more likely a bad tattoo than KS. So, I'll move on to your questions:

1. Yes, your 12-week test is definitive and conclusive. It corroborates your 11-week four-day negative (1st generation) test results. The result of your herpes test has nothing to do with the validity of your HIV test results.

2. No, not at all. Your symptoms sound like a combination of anxiety, stress and completely normal physical findings.

3. No, not at all.

4. No, this is not KS related. However, if she is having bloody diarrhea, she should continue with the appropriate medical workup to find out why. She may need to see a gastroenterologist if your general doctor cannot isolate the problem.

If you are having persistent difficulty accepting your HIV-negative status. I would suggest talking to your doctor about getting some counseling to help you cope with your irrational fears of HIV disease.

Thank you for your generous gift to my foundation. It's warmly appreciated. I wish both you and your wife health and happiness. Please remember HIV is not your problem!

HIV Result inconclusive
Losing hope quickly.. please help me doctor