The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Apr 15, 2010

HI, doctor I am really worried. I have tested Positive for elisa test 4 times but negative for western blot 4 times. My doctor did viral load test 4 times and it came out negative all the time. my cd 4 count is normal. I am so worried that It might have caused anxiety disorder. 1. do you think HIV symptims would show up after 9 months. I felt little dizzy and had loose stools 2. do you think my western blot is false negative 4 times. Please reply back!!! Thanks!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino


A reactive (positive) ELISA coupled with a negative Western Blot is considered a negative HIV screening! Consequently you've had four negative HIV-screening tests! Viral load testing is generally not used for HIV diagnostic screening; however, you've had four undetectable HIV PCR RNA tests (viral load), which corroborates what we already knew: You are definitively, conclusively and WOO-HOO-ably HIV negative.

There was no clinical indication for obtaining a CD4 cell count. Yours was normal, as would be anticipated.

Responding to your specific questions:

1. Your "symptoms" are not HIV related, because you do not have HIV!

2. No, of course not.

If my reassurance is not enough to quell your anxiety, you should seek help from your doctor. Counseling (psychotherapy) and anti-anxiety medications can be extremely helpful in situations like yours.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Testing Procedures
Breast sucking while lactating

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint