pre-chewed food + donation question PRE-CHEWED FOOD, HIV TRANSMISSION RISK, 2010)

Dear Doctor,

I read the CDC article about exposure through pre chewed food for infants. Apparently HIV mothers/fathers passed it to their infant babies through chewing food for them. How is this possible? I understand that passing the virus while its outside of the host is impossible. Should we feel at risk by eating in restaurants and elsewhere from similar scenarios...obviously no one chews our food, but what are the odds?

Finally what are the ods of getting HIV from playing soccer? Here in Europe they say no risk whatsoever!

Can I continue playing as I did before?

Btw, how can I donate from Europe?

Relax Max! Your worries are unwarranted. The HIV-transmission risk via pre-chewed food was noted only in infants with immature immune systems, and there may well have been extenuating circumstances. (See below.) There is absolutely no HIV-acquisition risk from eating in restaurants, unless you have unsafe sex with an HIV-positive waiter.

As for soccer, also no risk, unless you manage to get fresh HIV-tainted blood into a fresh open wound or you have unsafe sex with a "positively charged" footballer during the game!

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at (www.concertedeffort.org). Thanks for your desire to help others in desperate need.

Be well.

so frightened Nov 10, 2009 Dear Drs. i have tested positive for HIV but the problem is that before few days of knowing that i am infected i was feeding my baby 1 years old, since he is not able to chew the food as his teeth is still growing "so his dental gum was totally open for new teeth grow" i chewed the food for him and feed him directly by taking the chewed food from my mouth to his and while i chewed the food for him maybe my gum was open so the food mixed with some little blood "Maybe" i didnt see and red color in the food but since his gum is open for new teeth grow, i became paranoid of passing the hiv to him i am really dying of this feeling soo would you please advise me

There is some recent information suggesting that HIV might be transmissible via pre-chewed food given to infants. (See below.) The likelihood this actually happened with you and your son is extremely low. However, you should advise your son's pediatrician so that your son can be HIV screened at the appropriate interval.

pre chewing food for infant Sep 25, 2009

i been postive for 7 years i remember pre chewing chicken for my little niece when she was 10 months im scared to death that she might have it she is 6 now what to do i will donate

The chances you transmitted HIV via pre-chewing your niece's food are extremely low. (See below.) You could talk to her pediatrician if you remain concerned. HIV screening can be easily accomplished if there is an ongoing concern or clinical indication. I strongly doubt it is necessary.

An old kiss question asked again due to new research Aug 4, 2009

Hi Dr.Bob,

I am very sorry to pester you again with my question but would be great if you could answer my question. My exposure was asked here - http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q193432.html# A kiss with a mouth to mouth drink transfer with a high risk girl which you suggested was a non-existent risk. While I don't challenge you but there's a new research that indicates that babies have been infected with pre-chewed food due to saliva and blood. All I want to ask is does this have any relevance in the context of my problem? I hope you'll answer this and put my fears to rest. Thanks and regards, Ad

Hi Ad,

No, this has no relevance in the context of your problem or any other "adult" problem. See below.

Is the saliva of person at "window period" riskier than saliva of persons out of that period? (SALIVA) Jun 18, 2008

Dear Dr Bob, First, I would like to express my appreciation to your continuous effort to help all of us finding the truth about HIV. I have found nearly all of your posts on "saliva" but it seems my following question has not been asked and answered before. I hope, you could help me to answer this question. I have learned much about HIV, and I have seen a lot of scientists say that "The concentration of viruses at the window period and the AIDS stage is the highest". As a lot of posts you reply to people on this website, the answer is always "there is no risk when being exposed to saliva". But I'm not sure if that statement is true for "saliva" of all stages: window period, HIV period, AIDS period or the saliva couldn't only transmit during HIV period and it still could transmit HIV during the window and AIDS period because of the highest concentration viruses (as I said above). So I'm wondering that if I'm exposed to the Saliva of a person whose HIV+, how much risk am I facing? Please, tell me because yesterday, I was exposed to saliva of a person, and I'm not sure he's HIV+ at window period or not. I'm looking forward to your response.

Saliva does not transmit HIV, unless it contains visible HIV-tainted blood. This includes "saliva of all stages." The only potential exception involves infants ingesting pre-chewed food from an HIV-positive mom. (See below.)

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH RESEARCHERS? MAKE UP THEIR MIND!!!! May 14, 2008

DOC,

IT HAS LONG BEEN SAID THAT HIV IS NOT TRANSMITTED BY SALIVA. BUT NEW STUDIES SHOW THAT IT CAN TRANSMIT HIV... http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsdetails/2333 WHO SHOULD WE BELIEVE? I HAD A FAIRLY RISKY EXPERIENCE WHICH INCLUDED SALIVA. THE MAN FINGERED MY ANUS WITH A CONDOM ON HIS FINGER, BUT USED HIS SPIT AS LUBE. I CAN'T SLEEP DOC. SHOULD I GET TESTED?

LOVE

HILLARY SUPPORTER

Hey Hillary Supporter,

This is not a problem of researchers' being unable to make up their minds, but rather researchers' discovering new information. If we had had more funds dedicated to HIV/AIDS research, prevention and care, we would have known these facts long ago. But Dubya decided spending $5,000 per second (yes, $5,000 per second) on his disastrous war in Iraq was more important. Researchers, not only for HIV/AIDS, but also cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, autism and all other ailments, need to get by with what can be squeezed out of national budgets.

The information you referenced is new, but should not be alarming, in terms of your "spit as lube" experience. In general, saliva that does not contain visible blood is not considered a risk for HIV transmission. The report by the CDC of three African-American infants born in the U.S. who contracted HIV presumably via pre-chewed food suggest that chewing may increase the HIV concentrations in saliva. There is also the possibility that these moms had bleeding gums and transmitted the virus via blood, rather than saliva. Also, it's important to note that newborn infants have different immune mechanisms than adults. The immaturity of their immune systems may well put them at greater risk.

The bottom line on your bottom's risk activity (so to speak) is that your HIV risk assessment would not change based on this new data, OK?

Finally, Hillary would have made a fine president, but Obama will be even better. Hillary should take a few victory laps with her win in West Virginia, finish out the primaries and then bow out gracefully and step in line behind our next president . . . OBAMA!

just a contribution
Plot to Infect Me (Final Version)