post PEP rash and pain in shoulder when drinking

Dear Dr. Frascino,

I recently completed a course of PEP and had my 6 week antibody (ELISA/WB) test--negative. My clinician also ordered a PCR/RNA test which came back totally clear (no virus detected).

That said, about two weeks ago (right before I stopped the PEP) I got this redness on my neck. I confirmed w/ my doctor that it wasn't a sign of ARS but it hasn't gone away. Two days ago--the same day I got my PCR results--I started noticing that I had a pain in my shoulder/neck on the left side every time I consume a cold beverage. The right side doesn't have the same problem.

My dad, who is a microbiologist/infectious disease specialist, said that the redness could be a leftover side-effect of the PEP medications or might be a side effect of the Ativan that was prescribed to me during the PEP for my anxiety. But then this strange problem with the pain when drinking and I became concerned.

I'm wondering if the rash and the funny pain when consuming cold beverages could be a sign of lymph node swelling? Is this most likely just in my head or should I be concerned?

thanks for your help!

"I'm wondering if the rash and the funny pain when consuming cold beverages could be a sign of lymph node swelling?" Nope!

" ...this is most likely in my head..." Yes, I absolutely agree! Except you should leave off the "most likely" part!

Im so scared (CASUAL CONTACT, 2010)
just a contribution