Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I don't know what to do
Apr 14, 2010

Hi,

I have been positive for about 6 years and have been on meds (Kaletra, Epzicom)ever since I was diagnosed. I recently lost my job and insurance coverage...so I went on COBRA. In the struggle to keep up with my overwhelming amount of financial responsibilities I let my COBRA coverage lapse recently. I know this was very stupid of me but believe it or not it wasn't intentional (I thought I was paid up but I was not). I am starting a new job through a temp agency and health benefits are not available. Are there any programs available to help? Is it possible to get individual health coverage with my condition?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Yours is yet another example why we needed health care reform. It's frankly immoral that a person with HIV or any other pre-existing condition cannot purchase health insurance. Anyone who can't appreciate that fact is either brain dead or has absolutely no moral fiber or compassion.

I don't know from where you are writing, but I would suggest you contact your local AIDS service organizations. They may have a benefits counselor or link to AIDS legal services (pro boon legal help) to try to get your COBRA reinstated (if it only "lapsed recently"). They could also possibly help hook you up with some state and federal assistance programs that might offer some services in the interim.

As Obama's health plan is rolled out, yes, you will be able to purchase insurance.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please help a poor man: symptom appears
Next
Please DON'T publish last night's question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.