Please help a poor man: symptom appears

Dear doctor Robert,

I am really worried these days. I am having a symptom of having dry coughing and plenty of snivel jammed in my nose.

My potential risky activities happened around 9 months ago. I had a unprotected oral sex (& protected intercourse) with a prostitute at that time. After 2 weeks, I had some problem of frequent urination, therefore I went to a GP. He gave me some Antibiotic. Also I asked him if unprotected oral sex is risky, he is laughing at me, and told me, "it is almost no risk at all!".

BUT, the scary part is, these days (since 3 weeks ago) the symptom appears. I have continuously dry coughing, and having lots of snivel. As I used to be allergic during the spring time, I thought it is the same this year. I went to an allergic clinic, and the doctor gave me some tablets which SHOULD remove the allergic symptom. However, the tablets did not work. I wonder if this means these symptom I have is the symptom of HIV infection.

I am very scary, and plan to go for a test tomorrow, but Bob, could you help me out, if the anti-allergic medicine (Prednisolon) will make the test result false Negative?

Thanks!

Please help me!!! I will promise to donate! Thanks!

A very scary man

Hello Very Scary Man,

". . . Plenty of snivel jammed in my nose."?? Ick.

Your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible.

Your symptoms are not suggestive of, or consistent with, HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS).

Should you decide to get an HIV-antibody test, wait until the three-month mark for a definitive result. (I'm confident it would be negative.)

Return to the allergist for additional evaluation. You might have a sinus infection or some other problem causing all that "snivel".

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's very much appreciated.

Be well.

Give me a Birthday Present Dr. Bob - An Answer - I hope you can help a 16 year old. I will donate $50.00
I don't know what to do