Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help a poor man: symptom appears
Apr 14, 2010

Dear doctor Robert,

I am really worried these days. I am having a symptom of having dry coughing and plenty of snivel jammed in my nose.

My potential risky activities happened around 9 months ago. I had a unprotected oral sex (& protected intercourse) with a prostitute at that time. After 2 weeks, I had some problem of frequent urination, therefore I went to a GP. He gave me some Antibiotic. Also I asked him if unprotected oral sex is risky, he is laughing at me, and told me, "it is almost no risk at all!".

BUT, the scary part is, these days (since 3 weeks ago) the symptom appears. I have continuously dry coughing, and having lots of snivel. As I used to be allergic during the spring time, I thought it is the same this year. I went to an allergic clinic, and the doctor gave me some tablets which SHOULD remove the allergic symptom. However, the tablets did not work. I wonder if this means these symptom I have is the symptom of HIV infection.

I am very scary, and plan to go for a test tomorrow, but Bob, could you help me out, if the anti-allergic medicine (Prednisolon) will make the test result false Negative?

Thanks!

Please help me!!! I will promise to donate! Thanks!

A very scary man

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Very Scary Man,

". . . Plenty of snivel jammed in my nose."?? Ick.

Your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible.

Your symptoms are not suggestive of, or consistent with, HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS).

Should you decide to get an HIV-antibody test, wait until the three-month mark for a definitive result. (I'm confident it would be negative.)

Return to the allergist for additional evaluation. You might have a sinus infection or some other problem causing all that "snivel".

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's very much appreciated.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Give me a Birthday Present Dr. Bob - An Answer - I hope you can help a 16 year old. I will donate $50.00
Next
I don't know what to do

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.