Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried Sick! Please Help!!! I'll donate!!
Apr 14, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob, I am writing you again because I would really like my questions answered. I'm so paranoid right now. I can barely eat. Six days ago, I engaged in sexual intercourse with my HIV+ partner for the first time. I used a condom, and there were no problems with it. In fact, we did not even reach ejaculation through intercourse. A few days before, we had open-mouth kissed, and I later noticed a canker sore on my tongue (I get them often from eating salty or sour things), and so we stopped open-mouth kissing. During sex, my partner leaked pre-ejaculate on to my stomach. When we did ejaculate, he wiped himself and then later wiped me clean with the same towel. Two days later, I awoke with a sore throat. I've had a sore throat for the next 2 days and I have been quite sleepy (maybe it's from waking up at 5 in the morning over the weekend to go to work...i dont know). I do not have fever. Today (Tuesday) I'm still tired but my throat is improving. However, now my legs hurt. Also, my tongue is a bit pale-looking. I called the AIDS Hotline in my state and the person on the phone said that I shouldn't worry and that it didn't seem likely. Do I have reason to trust his word? Please help me! I've been worrying myself sick. I'll donate!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condom was used properly and didn't fail (break).

Your "symptoms" are not worrisome for or suggestive of HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS).

I would strongly suggest you and your virally enhanced mate spend some time reading through the chapters in the archives of this forum concerning magnetic couples, HIV sexual prevention, HIV sexual transmission and other related topics. You should find the information both enlightening and reassuring. Pay particular attention to the harm-reduction methods for magnetic couples.

Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Be well. Don't be "worried sick," but rather "healthily informed!"

Dr. Bob

Previous
Fleshlight Question
Next
Mental Health: Am I Losing It?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.