bed riddin from fear (my GP scared me again)

Hi Dr Bob I hope your doing well.I'm the guy who's doctor told me I needed pep for having a HIV exposure through a kiss on the mouth while I had bleeding gums.I took your advise and didn't go on it.Life has been ok until 3 and a half months after exposure I got sinisitus (pain in my cheek and above my gums with yellow, green discharge).I know it's not ARS since its after 3 months but could HIV weakened my imune system allowing such an infection which I'V never had? I've had this for a month now.It is now 4 and a half month after that dreaded kiss and I have just gone on antibiotics.I told my new GP about my situation and all he said was that there are no documented cases in Australia where anyone has got HIV through a kiss blood or no blood present.I asked him if my symptom could be linked to HIV weakening my immune system allowing my sinuses to be infected and he just gave me a confused look.He told me I could get tested if I wanted to but then I just paniced and walked out with my prescription.Dr Bob I still cant get out of my mind my bleeding gums (gingivitis) during that quick kiss and if that is a route to allow HIV to enter my mouth during that kiss (especialy after I licked my lips dry from her saliva).Lets say her mouth had cuts in there too.How infectious would her blood be in her mouth mixed with saliva? Finally do you recomend HIV neg people kissing others if they have bleeding gums without having to worry about HIV? I mean you can't go around examining peoples gums before kissing can you? I'm still putting off the baby making with my wife until I'm certain.Wife hates me for it but what can I do? Hope you can help me Dr Bob. Stay well,keep safe :)

Bleeding gums

Your fears remain irrational and unwarranted. (See below.) I strongly recommend you seek the help of a psychologist/psychiatrist to help you confront and conquer your fears.

DR BOB I've ruined my marriage due to my fear. Apr 13, 2010

Hi Dr Bob

I wrote in a while ago concerning a HIV exposure.Just to jog your memory it was where a female friend (known to have unprotected sex with multiple partners)gave me a quick kiss on my open mouth while I had gingivitis and slightly bleeding gums.I licked my lips dry from her saliva and have no idea if she had bleeding gums.Now my Dr told me I should go on Pep and you said I shouldn't.I went with your advice and everything has been well for a while.

The kiss occured on Nov 26th of last year and about middle of March this year I had what appeared to be the beggining stages of sinusitis. Symptoms are pain on my right cheek and right nostril and my right nostril is either constantly blocked or won't stop running with green discharge.It's April 8th and symptoms have not dissapeared. I'm 33 years old and have never had this in my life.Could this be because of my viral load after 3 and a half months or so after exposure?I know that people with HIV are more prone to sinisitus but can one get illnesses like this so early after getting HIV? Do you think it's possable I have HIV?Should I get the HIV test? I'm very scared and still avoiding unprotected sex with my wife to have a baby and this in turn has ruined my marriage.

Welcome back to the forum, but sorry to hear you are still living in fear of HIV, despite your nonexistent HIV risk. Certainly it's possible you have sinusitis. It's an extremely common ailment. What's important to note is that the vast, vast, vast majority of cases of sinusitis have absolutely nothing to do with HIV/AIDS.

My advice is simple:

1. Stop perseverating on a disease you do not have! If my persistent reassurance is not sufficient for you to shake your irrational fears, get a single HIV-antibody test. Testing is not warranted medically, but if it helps put your unwarranted worries permanently to rest, where they should be, it may be worth the effort psychologically.

2. See your general medical doctor or an ear, nose, throat (ENT) physician for treatment of your presumed sinusitis.

3. Get counseling (psychotherapy) to address your irrational HIV fears and also your related marital difficulties.

dog licks penis
Please Help My Child. We will donate. She wants PEP