would p24 antigen be positive after 10 weeks after exposure considering I took PEP for 28 days?
Apr 13, 2010
I took PEP after 100 hours of exposure for 28 days. 6 weeks after my PEP course finished and which was exactly 2 and half months after exposure I had a hiv1 and hiv 2 with the p24 antigen test and they all came negative. How accurate is the p24 antigen at that point 2 and half months after exposure considering I took PEP so as I mentioned the test was done 6 weeks after PEP course was completed ? thanks in advance
Response from Dr. Frascino
I'll make several points:
1. Your PEP was prescribed inappropriately. PEP is not warranted (or felt to be effective) if more than 72 hours have lapsed between exposure and the first dose of PEP.
2. Had you taken an appropriately prescribed course of PEP, the guidelines for post-PEP testing recommend HIV-antibody testing at six weeks, three months and six months from the date of exposure. Certainly any negative HIV diagnostic screening test can be considered encouraging, but for a definitive result, I'd recommend following the guidelines both for treatment and post-treatment follow-up testing.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Are Chances Of Getting Hiv If You Sleep With An Infected Person?
- If The Woman Already Has Hiv Can A Man Get It Through Vaginal Sex?
- White Tongue And Hepatitis
- Pinch Needle Hiv Risk
- Can You Get Hiv If The Person's Blood Went In Your Food?
- Why Are Black People More Prone To Hiv Infection?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.