DR BOB I've ruined my marriage due to my fear.

Hi Dr Bob I wrote in a while ago concerning a HIV exposure.Just to jog your memory it was where a female friend (known to have unprotected sex with multiple partners)gave me a quick kiss on my open mouth while I had gingivitis and slightly bleeding gums.I licked my lips dry from her saliva and have no idea if she had bleeding gums.Now my Dr told me I should go on Pep and you said I shouldn't.I went with your advice and everything has been well for a while.

The kiss occured on Nov 26th of last year and about middle of March this year I had what appeared to be the beggining stages of sinusitis. Symptoms are pain on my right cheek and right nostril and my right nostril is either constantly blocked or won't stop running with green discharge.It's April 8th and symptoms have not dissapeared. I'm 33 years old and have never had this in my life.Could this be because of my viral load after 3 and a half months or so after exposure?I know that people with HIV are more prone to sinisitus but can one get illnesses like this so early after getting HIV? Do you think it's possable I have HIV?Should I get the HIV test? I'm very scared and still avoiding unprotected sex with my wife to have a baby and this in turn has ruined my marriage.

Welcome back to the forum, but sorry to hear you are still living in fear of HIV, despite your nonexistent HIV risk. Certainly it's possible you have sinusitis. It's an extremely common ailment. What's important to note is that the vast, vast, vast majority of cases of sinusitis have absolutely nothing to do with HIV/AIDS.

My advice is simple:

1. Stop perseverating on a disease you do not have! If my persistent reassurance is not sufficient for you to shake your irrational fears, get a single HIV-antibody test. Testing is not warranted medically, but if it helps put your unwarranted worries permanently to rest, where they should be, it may be worth the effort psychologically.

2. See your general medical doctor or an ear, nose, throat (ENT) physician for treatment of your presumed sinusitis.

3. Get counseling (psychotherapy) to address your irrational HIV fears and also your related marital difficulties.

A different HIV and oral question
Symptoms of HIV versus Diabetes