DR BOB I've ruined my marriage due to my fear.
Apr 13, 2010
Hi Dr Bob I wrote in a while ago concerning a HIV exposure.Just to jog your memory it was where a female friend (known to have unprotected sex with multiple partners)gave me a quick kiss on my open mouth while I had gingivitis and slightly bleeding gums.I licked my lips dry from her saliva and have no idea if she had bleeding gums.Now my Dr told me I should go on Pep and you said I shouldn't.I went with your advice and everything has been well for a while.
The kiss occured on Nov 26th of last year and about middle of March this year I had what appeared to be the beggining stages of sinusitis. Symptoms are pain on my right cheek and right nostril and my right nostril is either constantly blocked or won't stop running with green discharge.It's April 8th and symptoms have not dissapeared. I'm 33 years old and have never had this in my life.Could this be because of my viral load after 3 and a half months or so after exposure?I know that people with HIV are more prone to sinisitus but can one get illnesses like this so early after getting HIV? Do you think it's possable I have HIV?Should I get the HIV test? I'm very scared and still avoiding unprotected sex with my wife to have a baby and this in turn has ruined my marriage.
Response from Dr. Frascino
Welcome back to the forum, but sorry to hear you are still living in fear of HIV, despite your nonexistent HIV risk. Certainly it's possible you have sinusitis. It's an extremely common ailment. What's important to note is that the vast, vast, vast majority of cases of sinusitis have absolutely nothing to do with HIV/AIDS.
My advice is simple:
1. Stop perseverating on a disease you do not have! If my persistent reassurance is not sufficient for you to shake your irrational fears, get a single HIV-antibody test. Testing is not warranted medically, but if it helps put your unwarranted worries permanently to rest, where they should be, it may be worth the effort psychologically.
2. See your general medical doctor or an ear, nose, throat (ENT) physician for treatment of your presumed sinusitis.
3. Get counseling (psychotherapy) to address your irrational HIV fears and also your related marital difficulties.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Black Spots After Anal Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Black Spots After Open Mouth Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Dizziness After Having Sex During Period Worried I Have HIV
- Ear Infection After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Herpes After Condom Inside Out Worried I Have HIV
- Vaginal Ultrasounds
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.