Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Riddle me this!!! Puzzled, confused, scared (OCD or delusional disorder?)
Apr 8, 2010

Dr. Bob, you are a beautiful person! I've read and re-read most of you comments to people. I have been told that I had a crystal clear vision of the world and a pure soul and can spot other pure people. I think you are one. I, on the other hand, lost my way. I am hoping that you may shed some light and give me courage. Please answer my questions. I am a colleague of yours (sort of - I am in the beginning of my career: just got my match results. I matched!!!). I am a bisexual married kid, whose homosexual side of the bi-sexual continuum is dysfunctional. I haven't had any man action, while married. Nonetheless, 4 weeks ago I lost my head. I went to a gay-masseur. Massage led to handjob. Handjob led to mutual tag and pull. I did not touch myself with the hand that touched him. He touched himself for a split second. Maybe twice. In 3 days I developed balanitis (very mild faint erythema), then urethritis (also mild without discharge), now I have epididymitis (again just scrotal pain/tenderness, but no fever or edema). Initially I thought that I am getting somatic. I self-medicated with Azithro 2gm, while having balanitis/urethritis, and thought I was in the clear (I haven't had sex with wife throughout all of that). I was sadly mistaken. I got a call from my urologist, whom I visited 7 days ago: Ureaplasma/Chlamydia positive. Riddle me this: this is my only sexual encounter! My wife did not do anything - 99.9%. So, I got STI from a handjob???? Now my fear: Chlam come in package with HIV (especially from a commercial sex worker). I got my baseline ELISA - negative (20 days post exposure). Do I need to worry about HIV, given that I did the impossible got an STI from the handjob with a very minimal (he only pulled down on his penis twice) pre-ejaculate exposure. I know you may think that I am full of hot air, alas, I am telling you the honest truth. This was my only sexual encounter outside of home. Wife is definitely not a culprit: she had her pap/Gc/Chl done right before I lost my "man-virginity" in this marriage to a massage therapist. I held back as much as I could but my man-urges are supper powerful during the time of stress. Please do not ignore my pleading for help. Is it even remotely possible that I got chlamydia from a non-sexual source? This freak occurrence defies everything I have been tought in school about STI transmission. Help, or I will not advance in my career because I will be in a psychiatric hospital.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Something doesn't quite add up here. Your walk on the wild side with Mr. Rub-n-Tug was four weeks ago and you then self-medicated (never a good idea, I might add!) with azithro. However, seven days ago you visited a urologist and had positive chlamydia and ureaplasma tests??? The azithromycin should have knocked out the chlamydia (and possibly the ureaplasma as well).

It's extremely unlikely to contract an STD from a hand job. Although it's important to point out some STDs, like chlamydia, are much more easily acquired than HIV. I would consider your HIV-acquisition risk to be essentially nonexistent.

I can't explain your positive chlamydia and ureaplasma tests based on the limited information provided. The possibly of a laboratory or clerical error exists. I would also strongly advise having your wife rechecked for both chlamydia and ureaplasma. It's far more likely you contracted these infections from her than Mr. Rub-n-Tug.

Regarding your bisexuality and recent massage with a happy ending. I strongly advise you level with your wife. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do. Counseling may also help you explore sexual orientation issues.

Congratulations on your match!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thanks
Next
Risk of HIV contraction after protected sex with prostitute

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.