Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Occupational exposure - possible
Apr 8, 2010

I am a nurse, and work with many HIV infected patients. Today, I took care of a patient who has AIDS with a high viral load, and is also neutropenic. I walked into his room and noticed his blood transfusion was completed. I disconnected the tubing from his heplock, and blood splattered all over the front of my scrub top and onto my wrist. My wrist has no cuts or scrapes, but a pretty large pool of blood was sitting on my skin for at least 20 seconds before I could wash my hands and arms. Also, I walked around with the dirty scrub top for the rest of the day. For the first 10 minutes, I could feel wetness from the blood against my skin (again, no cuts on my stomach where the blood may have soaked through). Although the blood was likely from the donor, my patient's IV kept backing up and I believe some of his blood could have been mixed with the donors'. What is my risk? Sorry, I know the risk is low, but I just need to have my mind eased, I'm already losing sleep. Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

The HIV-acquisition risk from the occupational exposure you describe is nonexistent. HIV cannot permeate intact skin (unless it's a site of a previous herpes breakout).

As with all occupational exposure, you should report and document this incident. However, I see absolutely no cause for alarm.

By the way, why did you walk around in your blood-spattered scrubs for the rest of the day. It may not be an HIV-acquisition risk, but it is a really bad fashion statement!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV from Path lab test
Next
kissing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.