Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV from Path lab test.pls pls pls reply
Apr 7, 2010

Dear Bob,

Please reply!

Thanks in advance

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I did! See below.

Dr. Bob

HIV from Path lab test Apr 5, 2010

Dear Robert,

My question seems really vague but just cant get this anxiety out of my head. recently I had a call in technical at my office to collect my blood sample to do CBC and Liver Function Test.

I asked him before the test where the needle used is new or not and he said of course it was new I just did not see him opening the needle pack thats why the question.

To clarify it was a needle and not a Syringe where at the back you put in a tube which due to vaccum collects the blood.

After the test the question eating my head was that is HIV transmission possible if the needle was infected. I called up the technician later in the evening and he confirmed that the needle was new and they use only new needles thats the lab policy and after the test the needles are destroyed. I was still not satisfied and wrote an email to the head of the path lab and the answer presumably I got was that to be assured that the lab always uses fresh disposable syringes, needles and vacutainers and are immediately destroyed after use. Furthermore the owner of the lab informed that quality is foremost at their institution and is an internationally accredited lab since 2006.

My questions -Am I being a freak and thinking uneneccsary? -Is there HIV transmission possible in the above scenario? - Is there any case as mentioned baove where HIV transmission took place?

I await your ever humurous comments.

Best regards,

AB

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello AB,

1. "Am I being a freak and thinking uneneccasary?" Yup! (Although I'm not exactly sure what "uneneccasary" means.)

2. "Is there HIV transmission possible in the above scenario?" Nope.

3. "Is there any case as mentioned baove where HIV transmission took place?" Nope! (Although I'm not sure what "baove" means either.)

Dr. Bob

Previous
stop takeing meds
Next
Thanks

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.