A Herion addicts story

Hi, Dr Bob

I have to start by saying that this site is amazing. It really is, I mean it. I read through the concerns and questions. As 'off' as some of them may seem, it really isn't that bad. People are scared.

If I had been this vigilant, I wouldn't be in the position I am in. Because, the truth is: I don't know if I have HIV (or any disease, for that matter. )

I should go and find out. I've been a damn druggie for years. Try to clean up, then relapse..it's horrible. I didn't care whether I contracted that. You mainline once and wa-la..good chance you're hooked. And it's amazing what you don't care about when you're on another planet.

Making a long story short (too late), my life is like that movie Basketball Diaries..except I'm not Jim Carroll, but not too far from it. If you've never seen that movie..check it out. It really shows a darker side of life. But my own fault.

I've seen needles in the streets..maybe innocent people do get stuck. Maybe people should stay away from the Bowery.

Anyway, I am trying to get clean again. Hopefully for real this time.

Trying to get clean leaves me with withdrawl and...paranoia. So, I have a question (stupid, I suppose, coming from a person who doesn't know their status yet) but if there was blood on ATM keys, or debit card machines in stores for any reason...anything like that..could you get HIV or something? If your skin is intact, but maybe a little raw or dry? Under a nail?

Isn't it stupid that I am worried about getting it like that, all things considered? It's just the jitters part of me kicking in now, and..weird as it seems, if I could find that out...that would be great.

And I guess one last word..Doc, I'll keep you posted. I hope that, if people read this, they decide that this (drugs) isn't worth it..because it isn't.

Hey, thanks..thanks a lot, really.

Thanks for writing in and sharing your story I strongly support and applaud your efforts to get and stay clean. Get the help you need with a good drug rehab program, OK?

Regarding your question about acquiring HIV via ATM, nope, no risk.

I encourage you to get HIV tested without delay. Consider it part of taking control of your life and cleaning up your act.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me.

HIV from Path lab test
Desperately Seeking Reassurance