Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

OMG, I'm being kidded with this, right? DESPERATE
Apr 5, 2010

Hi, Dr.!

Happy Easter! I hope this is just irrational, but I went to an Easter Buffett at this really upscale catering hall.

Now, I don't inspect doors, utensils, etc. in eateries and stores, but from now on I think I will. Although what's done is done and it might be too late for future inspections..

What happened next is BS and I'm angry. I noticed AFTER putting the fork in my mouth that there were dark-ish spots on it. Thing is: I was eating pineapple..NOT a dark food.

I told the waiter, but all he could do was get another fork. I said 'yes, but that doesn't stop me from getting AIDS' and my husband whisked me out of there so fast..

My husband did say he looked at the fork and blood is not what it looked like. He said he had to rub hard and then use a knife to scrape the 'thing' off while I was on what he called my 'Tirade' But what if there was more 'stuff' on the back of the fork that I didn't see?

What if it was blood? Should I see an ER doc? Or any Doc? My husband made an appointment for me with a 'shrink' but I don't know..that spot was really there! Even he saw it..I can't be crazy if oter people can see it, too, right?

Please tell me that my risk is non-existant..

My husband is looking at your site now to send donations..

Thank you, Dr., so much. It is much appreciated.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. "What if it was blood?" I agree with your husband: it wasn't! (Even if it were, your HIV risk would still be essentially nonexistent!)

2. "Should I see an ER doc?" Nope!

3. "Or any doc?" Yup. I'd suggest you keep your appointment with the shrink. Your fears are irrational. Psychotherapy may help you confront and conquer these unwarranted and totally whacked fears. A "dark-ish spot" or a fork is not a risk for HIV. Period.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Omnisciense is a matter of perspective
Next
Happy Easter, Dr. Bob!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.