Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob. Your services are requested - will donate.
Apr 5, 2010

Dr Bob.

26 Male. Circumcised. No genital sores. No tattoos. Healthy with good immune system. Who stupidly engaged in straight vaginal intercourse with a prostitute of African decent and unknown status 4 weeks ago in a German brothel. PHEW! A condom was used with water based lubricant, but due to my intoxication, I am only 75% confident it stayed intact during the entire act. I do remember it sliding up my penis but not exposing my urethra. 2 weeks post possible exposure hiv 1/2 antibody test was negative. I took it for a baseline status, but also heard that approximately 50% will produce antibodies. Is this correct?

No rash, No fevers, No enlarged lymph nodes. I do have a slight sore throat which started around day 24. Could this be the start of ARS?

It been confirmed! I am officially a worry well and need your advice, and if its not asking too much, your good karma while I wait for the 4 week antibody test results.

This entire situation has been stressful, and pretty much has consumed my thoughts. I feel like I am stuck in this HIV infested moment. I need some advice!

Please respond with instructions on how to donate

Thanks again doctor bob.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

If you're 75% confident you have protected sex, then you have a 25% reason to get HIV tested!

I cannot validate the 50% statistic for a two-week test. What I will say is that the majority of HIV-infected folks will have detetable levels of anti-HIV antibody in their blood within four to six weeks of primary HIV infection. You will need to wait until at least the three-month mark for a definitive HIV-antibody test result.

Regarding your "slight sore throat" at day 24, no, I do not believe this is HIV ARS related.

Dr. Bob's good-luck karma signed, sealed and sent! Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Worried Sick - Help
Next
Razor- Sterilized, risk of infection?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.