M.A. anxious, i trust your judgement god bless you!

Dear Dr.Frascino first of all let me say god bless you and the work you do! may the lord keep you and your Partner happy and healthy. I have been reading up on you alot and have decided i need your expertise if you offer. im a 28 yr old FEMALE M.A. AND TODAY WAS AN UNLUCKY DAY FOR ME, AS I WAS TRANSFERRING SYNOVIAL FLUID INTO A VACCUTAINER TUBE THE NEEDLE THAT I HAD JUST PLACED SYNOVIAL INTO ANOTHER TUBE,, GRAZED MY THUMB. I TOOK OFF MY GLOVES AND INSPECTED THE SITE AND THERE WAS NOTHING NO BLOOD OR WOUND JUST LIKE A PIECE OF SKIN THAT SHOWED WHERE I WAS GRAZED. I WASHED MY HANDS THOROUGHLY AND WENT TO SHOW MY DOC ,,HE INSPECTED AND SAID NOTHING HAPPENED AND THAT I WAS LUCKY NO NEED FOR PEP. I CAN SEE A LITTLE SCRAPED WHERE THE NEEDLE GRAZED ME AND I HAD TRIED TO SEE IF ANY BLOOD CAME OUT BUT ABSOLUTELY NO BLOOD THEN I HAD A NURSE PRACTITIONER WHO IS A VERY GOOD FRIEND OF MINES INSPECT MY FINGER AND SAID THERE WAS NO NEED FOR PEP. I JUST NEED TO HEAR YOU TELL ME IM OKAY I KNOW YOU CANT SEE ME BUT PLEASE SHOULD I STILL GET TESTED AT 3&6 M OR SHOULD I THANK THE LORD FOR MY LUCK?

Hello Anxious M.A.,

I agree with your doctor and nurse practitioner: You had an insignificant occupational exposure and PEP is not warranted. You did the correct thing by reporting and documenting the incident.

If the grazed skin remained intact, there is no need for testing. However, if you remain concerned, HIV-antibody testing at three and six months could be considered. I'm confident the results would be negative.

Stay well.

HIV Drugs timing while travelling to different country time zone
My Sex-ED Teacher says, "Go Ask Dr. Bob! -- With my spelling corrections :)