Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Could I be HIV+ after HIV exposure but negative at 12wks?
Apr 4, 2010

Hi Dr. I had unprotected receptive vaginal sex with an HIV+ guy (unkowingly) - alhtough he did not ejaculate in me, I realise this was still high risk. I had a test at 6 weeks, which was negative and then a further negative test at 12 weeks (or 84 days to be precise). It has been just over a year since this test and had I realised the real possibilty of seroconverting beyond 3 months (I was not informed to do so), I would have been tested again before entering a sexual relationship. The scary thing is that the man I am seeing has symptoms very similar to that of the guy I was exposed to - multiple swolle glands in neck, tiredness, 2 weeks ago also experienced nausea and vomitting and fevers. He is usually a very health guy and is not used to such symptoms. I haven't actually told him of my fears until I know for sure of my HIV status. I will get tested as soon as sossible, but what I am really after is whether there is a definite possibility that I could indeed be HIV+ and have recently infected my partner? Or am I just over-reacting? How often does it occur that someone with a REAL HIV exposure tests positive beyond 3 months? I'm really starting to worry now :-( THanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The CDC's current guidelines recommend HIV-antibody testing at both the three- and six-month marks following a "significant exposure" to a partner confirmed to be HIV infected. Unprotected receptive vaginal sex would qualify as a significant exposure, although that he did not ejaculate in you would decrease the HIV-acquisition risk somewhat.

As for your current partner, it would be extremely unlikely that you infected him. I agree with your plan to get another HIV-antibody test. A rapid HIV test could give you a definitive result in as few as 20 minutes! Regarding "how often" someone will subsequently test HIV positive following a negative three-month test, we don't have accurate statistics to report. However, I can advise that such an occurrence would be rare, particularly with the improvement in HIV testing assays (newer generation test kits).

Don't worry; just get retested.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Badda Bing Dude Again
Next
Thank you Doc

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.