Could I be HIV+ after HIV exposure but negative at 12wks?

Hi Dr. I had unprotected receptive vaginal sex with an HIV+ guy (unkowingly) - alhtough he did not ejaculate in me, I realise this was still high risk. I had a test at 6 weeks, which was negative and then a further negative test at 12 weeks (or 84 days to be precise). It has been just over a year since this test and had I realised the real possibilty of seroconverting beyond 3 months (I was not informed to do so), I would have been tested again before entering a sexual relationship. The scary thing is that the man I am seeing has symptoms very similar to that of the guy I was exposed to - multiple swolle glands in neck, tiredness, 2 weeks ago also experienced nausea and vomitting and fevers. He is usually a very health guy and is not used to such symptoms. I haven't actually told him of my fears until I know for sure of my HIV status. I will get tested as soon as sossible, but what I am really after is whether there is a definite possibility that I could indeed be HIV+ and have recently infected my partner? Or am I just over-reacting? How often does it occur that someone with a REAL HIV exposure tests positive beyond 3 months? I'm really starting to worry now :-( THanks

The CDC's current guidelines recommend HIV-antibody testing at both the three- and six-month marks following a "significant exposure" to a partner confirmed to be HIV infected. Unprotected receptive vaginal sex would qualify as a significant exposure, although that he did not ejaculate in you would decrease the HIV-acquisition risk somewhat.

As for your current partner, it would be extremely unlikely that you infected him. I agree with your plan to get another HIV-antibody test. A rapid HIV test could give you a definitive result in as few as 20 minutes! Regarding "how often" someone will subsequently test HIV positive following a negative three-month test, we don't have accurate statistics to report. However, I can advise that such an occurrence would be rare, particularly with the improvement in HIV testing assays (newer generation test kits).

Don't worry; just get retested.

Badda Bing Dude Again
Thank you Doc