HIV BLOOD WORK EVERY 6 MONTHS ???

Hi Dr Bob thank you for your time you are my hero,

l am hiv postive and my last 3 blood works every 3 months have come back undectable and my cd4 are around 410 and %28.... my doctor in sydney has told me not to bother to come in every 3 months now and told me every 6 months is ok ???

can you please tell me is this common pratice ???

also l am on truvada and niveripine 3 tabs in the morning once dosing, and told my doctor can l change to truvada and issagrees, but he told me he wants to keep me on the same meds so he can have more options later on if l develope reisitance....

l am 38 years old have have been hiv positive for 2 years and on meds for the last 12 months...

l would please like your opinion on the above,

thank you so much jeff

G'day Jeff,

Most HIV specialist physicians recommend CD4 counts and HIV plasma viral load determinations every three to four months. Personally I prefer every three months. I do know some physicians who have extended the monitoring to every six months, but this is not common practice here in the U.S. As you have been on antiretroviral therapy for only 12 months, I'd recommend sticking with every three months monitoring for now.

Be well. Stay well.

Please help Doc
insertive issues (Rectal secretions from men who have sex with men contain more HIV than blood or semen) (ANAL MUCOUS, RECTAL SECRETIONS, 2010)