Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible False Negative
Mar 27, 2010

I had sex with a woman that I barely knew several times around 12 years ago. Also, a year before that I kissed a girl for about an hour that I just met that day. I started having some strange problems several years ago and it has progressed to the point where I feel that it could be nothing other than AIDS. In 2008 I took an oral swab test, a Home Access test and then I went to LabCorp and took the Elisa and PCR DNA test. They have all come back negative or non-reactive but all of my symptoms point to HIV. Could I have waited too long to take the test or could something else in my body cause a false negative.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You had a nookie 12 years ago and kissed a girl for an hour 13 years ago and now more than a decade later you've developed a few symptoms and so you're convinced you have AIDS? WOWZA! Plus you've had multiple negative HIV-antibody tests (rapid oral test, Home Access, ELISA) and an undetectable qualitative HIV PCR DNA test in 2008. YIKES! Exactly what part of "HIV negative" are you having difficulty understanding?

Your multiple negative HIV tests are definitive, conclusive and absolutely WOO-HOO-able. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. A negative HIV test outside the window period trumps "symptoms" each and every time! Your concerns that you may have "waited too long to test" are unwarranted. The tests would still be accurate a dozen or even two dozen years later.

You may be convinced you have AIDS. I, however, am absolutely certain you are HIV negative. The evidence is irrefutable and overwhelming. If you cannot accept the truly wonderful news that you dodged the HIV bullet, you should seek counseling (psychotherapy).

Dr. Bob

Previous
is love possible between a positive-negative couple
Next
Dr. Frascino's Sistuation Vs. Unprotected Oral

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.