in FEAR and SCARED

Dear: Dr.Bob

Thank you for all that you do, to answer our questions. Maybe you can answer, some of my worries and concern.

Back in December 09, 2009,i had unprotected sex (stupid me) with a guy of unknown status. Ever since then I have experience a number of symptoms in my body. A week after my exposure I started having urinary tract infection. Then in January I experience low grade fevers, sore throat, chills, pinch and needles all over the body, swollen lymph nodes, specially on my left armpit almost towards my breast i had what i think must have been a lymph node like the size of a golf ball or smaller swollen, i have had loss of hair, had a rash for a few days, diarrhea, floaters and blurred vision in the eyes, etc, etc, etc, all this symptoms have gone away, except for the urinary tract infection and floaters in my vision. Since i had all this symptoms, i have done more than a dozen HIV test, including PCR'S all coming back negative. In February i went to an Infectious Disease Dr, who ordered a cd4 count, which came back as follow, Absolute cd4 410 and the reference interval is 359-1519, so im on the very very low side, with a cd4% of 45, reference interval of 30.8-58.5%. My lymph are also low (14). My question is how longer is it going to take for hiv to showed in my blood? if it were hiv. Is it normal for cd4 count to be that low on a supposely hiv negative person, like myself? Could it be that i have XMRV? Or maybe, could it be that im a fast progressor to hiv, and it just won't showed till my cd4's are lower?

Please answer, back, my infectious disease doc, stated that i was just running a viral syndrome, yeah but which one???? I guess doctors don't take me seriously,because i don't have insurance. But i woould greatly appreciate it if you give some feed back.

P.S. just last week i went to gyn doc, now i have bacteria vaginosis and blood occult in my urine.

Also can i get info, on where to make donations for your foundation.

once again thanks for all that you do.

It's true that unprotected sex did place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. However, your "more than a dozen HIV tests," all of which have been negative, including undetectable PCRs, are definitive, conclusive, excessive and WOO-HOO-able, assuming you took at least one beyond the standard three-month window period.

I see no reason for even ordering a CD4 cell count, despite the fact that yours was in the normal range, which I certainly would have expected. Being toward the lower end of the normal range does not hold any prognostic significance. Normal is normal, especially when you've had so many negative HIV tests!

Your worries about HIV are unwarranted. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted.

As for what type of viral infection you could have, there are an enormous number from which to choose, and no particular reason to chase after a more specific viral diagnosis, as these conditions are self-limiting.

Your biggest problem at the moment is your irrational fear of HIV and perseveration on the worry that you might be HIV infected. You are not!

Why would a doctor not take you seriously simply because you don't have insurance? Luckily, thanks to Obama, you'll soon be insured. You should follow up with a good general internist for evaluation and management of any ongoing or persistent symptoms you might have. Just remember HIV is not the cause, OK?

So yell WOO-HOO and put your HIV fears permanently to rest!

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well. Stay well.

Big Worry + How to deal with a Partner reluctant to talk about HIV
Will gladly send a donation...real quick question