Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need some assurance and help. Please.
Mar 27, 2010

Hi Doc, Firstly it is a commendable job that you are doing here. So many disturbed people like me can have their peace by your words. Now about my story. I think I need to visit a psychriatist. In last few years, I visited a few sex workers. All the encounters were protected and I am sure that in none of the cases the condom broke or teared. I didn't performed any oral on them. On a few occasion they did performed oral on me but with a condom. All the sexual activities that I performed was protected. In this scenario, please let me know what are my risks of getting infected with HIV. I know that I need to take a test, but in my society if anyone come to know that I have indergone a test, they will outcaste me. I know that I have performed the biggest mistake of my life. I have tried to hold myself and will never visit a sex worker again. Please let me know my risk. I need to know how to make a donation to your foundation which is helping so many people. Please do pick up my question.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I did find it amusing that you began your story by suggesting that you need to see a psychiatrist! "Now about my story. I think I need to visit a psychiatrist!" That's usually my advice line!

Your assumptions that your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent are right on target! In fact so much so that I don't think you even need to see a shrink! You just need to have a talk with yourself and read my comments 10 times in a row and then say out loud: "I followed the safer sex guidelines. My HIV risk is nonexistent. I'm HIV negative! WOO-HOO!" Of course if that doesn't work and you continue to perseverate on this essentially nonexistent risk, you could see a psychiatrist. However, he'll just tell you the exact same thing and charge you lots of money.

My advice is to put your totally unwarranted fears to rest where they belong by realizing that HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. Assuming the latex condoms were used properly, your HIV risk would be essentially nonexistent. That in turn means HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. I do not feel HIV testing is warranted. Save your HIV testing money and your psychiatry money and donate it to a worthy cause. You'll feel much better. Trust me. Plus, the higher powers will smile on your generosity and load you up with excellent cosmic karma for good health and future happiness.

Be well. Stay well. (Yes indeed you are well!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Rapid Test Kit Question -- Donation Given to your Aids Foundation
Next
Terrified!! Please Help Dr Frascino !! I will Donate to your Foundation!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.