one act of indiscretion with protection.

Hello, I have been in a three year relationship. I am male by the way. I met a woman in a bar the other night of unknown status. We had sex. I wore a condom and also lubricated it. There was a bit of slippage after I while pulling out. Only about A quarter of the shaft of my penis became exposed upon exit. There was no reentry after that. I am concerned that I may have put myself at risk. I don't plan on leaving my girlfriend. In fact, this act has made me more sure about wanted to be with her. I don't want to put her at risk though. I imagine that I will have to tell her so she has a choice about putting herself at risk with me now. What kind of risk did I take? What are the chances of a single sexual encounter with protection in contracting HIV? Planned parenthood seems to think that A: I should tell her what happened.(I agree) B: Not have sex for three months until I can get tested (That's ok with me too). But they make it sound like I took a HUGE risk. Is this true? They have added to my anxiety with their advise.

I'll agree with Planned Parenthood on "A." As for "B," your HIV risk is so remote it's essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail (break). Consequently, if you want an extra layer of protection (pun intended), you and your gal-pal could have sex using a latex condom until your three-month HIV test reconfirms your negative HIV status. I should also note that even following your confirmatory negative test I'd still recommend condoms to prevent unplanned pregnancies and also to prevent any exposures to STDs should either you or she have another "act of indiscretion" in the future.

Finally "C," I totally disagree with the information on risk assessment you received. As long as the business end of your tallywhacker remained enshrined in his latex suit, your HIV risk remains essentially nonexistent. HIV cannot penetrate the skin on the shaft of your Mr. Happy. It can penetrate mucous membranes (such as the one lining your urethra) and possibly permeate skin where a previous herpes outbreak occurred.

I would suggest you can very confidently ratchet down your anxiety level. The chances you are HIV free are beyond astronomical, OK?

Be well. Stay well.

Pregnant, + ELISA, indeterminate western blot (PREGNANCY AND INDETERMINATE WESTERN BLOT TEST, 2010)
Doc, do I need a slap round the face?