Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i've got testing jitters
Apr 27, 2001

A few months ago, I visited the hospital emergency for extreme pelvic pain. The cause of this pain was never discovered and with two weeks of antibiotics the pain eventually went away. I was checked for venereal diseases at the hospital; the tests came out negative. My question is: "Is it likely that I was also checked for HIV/AIDS". I am concerned about the pelvic pain, but more concerned right nowabout being HIV+ because I think I am. I plan on getting tested this week, i'm just a little nervous and need some advice before I make a visit to the clinic. Thank you.

Response from Mr. Kull

To answer your question about getting HIV tested without knowing it: the answer is no. In order to have an HIV antibody test, you are required to give the healthcare provider your consent to do so (this is referred to as informed consent). No one can be tested for HIV against their will, with exceptions in certain states. For example, some states allow doctors to test newborns without the mother's consent. Mandatory testing can also be applied to perpetrators of sexual assault under certain state law. If you have a chance, learn more about testing policies in your state.

Why are you convinced that you are HIV infected? If you took antibiotics and the pelvic pain went away, maybe it was attributable to something else. It's normal to be nervous about HIV testing, but make sure you take into consideration your ACTUAL risk for infection.

RMK

Previous
Cum in eyes
Next
Oral STD risk

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.