Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is the risk with undetectable gay man?
Mar 23, 2010

Doctor: I am a HIV+ gay male in meds, who has been undetectable for over 2 years. Currently dating a negative male, we always use protection for anal sex, but a couple of days ago realize that the condom broke while I was being the top and finishing the act inside of him. Doctor, Could I have infected him, even thought I am undetectable? This only happens once, What are the changes that he is + now? Does he have the risk to get infected by dating a positive undetectable male? Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Receptive anal sex (condom failure) does place your buddy at risk for STDs, including HIV. That you are currently on effective combination antiretroviral therapy, which has driven your HIV plasma viral load to undetectable levels over the past two years, significantly decreases the risk of HIV transmission, but it does not completely eliminate it. If you are still within the 72-hour post-exposure window, a course of PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) could be considered. I would suggest you and your potential future Mr. Right read the information in the archives related to magnetic couples. There are a number of harm-reduction techniques that may be useful in decreasing the potential risk of HIV transmission resulting from accidental exposure, such as a condom failure.

Your partner should get HIV tested at both the three- and six-month marks.

Good luck to you both.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Very scared and married also.
Next
Need your input, scared out of my mind, will donate today

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.