The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Very scared and married also.

Mar 23, 2010

I had a full protected oral-vaginal contact with a sex worker. 5 days after I had diarrhea, vomiting , stomach cramps and a fever of about 101F(38,5C. The symptoms last for almost 36 hours and then I was fealing great but tired.In the meantime I went to the doc cause I was scared and he told me (after a general blood test)that It was gastroenteritis sth really usual that period of the year. I am pretty sure that condom was effective (didn't break , semen inside etc.) and I was really carefull but since then I cant't sleep or eat. Please help could it be ars??? I am afraid for kids and family, do I have to take the test?

Response from Dr. Frascino


Your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail (break). HIV testing is not medically warranted; however, if it will help put your unwarranted worries permanently to rest, you could get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The result will undoubtedly be negative, but seeing the result may be helpful psychologically. It's also possible some of your anxiety is related to guilt. I would suggest, if you haven't already done so, that you level with your wife. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do.

Good luck. Remember, HIV is not your problem.

Dr. Bob

Meningitis but not HIV?
What is the risk with undetectable gay man?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint