Should I stay on PEP?
Mar 23, 2010
Hi, I had a sexual intercourse with an illegal Thai prostitute in Singapore. Unfortunalty, the condom broke but I did not ejaculate. I started PEP 36 hours later and the side effect are mild althouh not pleasant. I managed ot get the girl and myself to do a rapid HIV test which was negative. She told me she was a student who did not work regularly like that before and she always used condoms as she did not used any contraception. I have three questions: Do you think I should continue the PEP as it cause problem for me to work efficiently? Secondly can I do a HIV-duo or PCR test in 25 days or should I wait 28 days after the end of the PEP treatment? and fianlly, what chances do you think I have to get HIV positive.
Thanks for your help K
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. Since both you and your "student" tested HIV negative, the only potential HIV-acquisition risk would involve the student still being in her window period. The chances of this are remote at best. I would advise discontinuing PEP.
2. I would advise an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark from the date of the encounter.
3. Extremely remote.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Flu Symptoms Could I Have HIV
- Is Hair Loss An Early Sign Of HIV?
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Giving Oral Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Headache After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After French Kissing Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.