Should I stay on PEP?

Hi, I had a sexual intercourse with an illegal Thai prostitute in Singapore. Unfortunalty, the condom broke but I did not ejaculate. I started PEP 36 hours later and the side effect are mild althouh not pleasant. I managed ot get the girl and myself to do a rapid HIV test which was negative. She told me she was a student who did not work regularly like that before and she always used condoms as she did not used any contraception. I have three questions: Do you think I should continue the PEP as it cause problem for me to work efficiently? Secondly can I do a HIV-duo or PCR test in 25 days or should I wait 28 days after the end of the PEP treatment? and fianlly, what chances do you think I have to get HIV positive.

Thanks for your help K

Hello K,

1. Since both you and your "student" tested HIV negative, the only potential HIV-acquisition risk would involve the student still being in her window period. The chances of this are remote at best. I would advise discontinuing PEP.

2. I would advise an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark from the date of the encounter.

3. Extremely remote.

If not hiv, then what?
Dentist Glove had hole