Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Your comment on crotisone Shot affecting HIV antibody testing, quick donation
Mar 22, 2010

Hello Dr. Bob,

Thanks for answering my question earlier. I had oral insertive sex (she licked/sucked my penis twice, spitted on it) all unprotected and then applied condom and gave me oral sex. I think the Sex worker was HIV +.

I had an DNA PCR at 15 days after exposure and it came back negative and an orasure rapid hiv 1/2 oral swap at 3 weeks and it was negative.

I had a Crotisone shot 1 and half month before the exposure due to eczema and i apply a crotisone cream daily (and still due) on some parts of my body. Does this mean my negative test is not negative?? The doctor had given me a cortisone shot on my butt. Also at 4 weeks I have tiny pimples behind my ear. I think they are lymph nodes.

Please answer me as i am freaking out I have send a second donation.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Relax Max! A cortisone shot for eczema given 1.5 months prior to your exposure will not affect the validity of your definitive three-month (from the date of exposure) HIV-antibody test. Likewise, your use of topical cortisone will not affect the validity or accuracy of the test results.

"Tiny pimples" are not lymph nodes. Stop freaking yourself out! Your exposure was extremely low risk at best. Your "symptoms" are not worrisome and your negative/undetectable test results to date are encouraging.

Thank you for your donations to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). They are warmly appreciated and urgently needed. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will always be HIV free.

Be well. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Comparing Risk of Anal and Oral Sex in Magnetic Couples
Next
Male spa massage risk

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.