I now have HIV! (for the newly diagnosed)

Dear Dr. BOB,

I have been diagnosed with HIV since November 2009. I've came to you in the past about two years ago scared to "death." No pun intended whatsoever. The first day I found out, I was so shocked that I couldn't find my way back home. I went to a convenient store an hour after finding out to buy a soda and gave the cashier a 100 dollar bill not realizing my purchase was only a buck and some change. You can only imagine how much one can suffer finding out the horrible news.

I went from being the biggest hypochondriac to becoming the least frightened person in our time over a course of 2 months. Thanks to a strong will, great doctors like yourself, statistics and modern age FACTS.

I read about all of these people frightened that they may have contracted HIV and I want to send a message. It's my opinion and no one has to believe in it. It's about prevention and one night stands. Here it goes!

Technically, prevention is effective yet there is never a guarantee. I used a condom when I got infected. The person took it off and put it back on pretending that it was on the whole time. Anything can happen. Prevention was always and still is my thang! You can never be a 100% careful.

That's the bad news. The good news is, that if you are on here and you do get infected with HIV, it's not the end of your life. It's the beginning of realizing who you truly are as a person. It's a rebirth. It's the extra care that I believe everyone needs which can prolong your life even longer than those who don't have concerns.

I don't consider it a "fight" against HIV. I consider it a "look inside!"

I don't have any questions at the moment Dr. BOB but you have a way of comforting us all and if you do post this, I'll get to hear your voice.

love D

Hello D,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your inspiring story and the wise insights you gained from your I'm confident your optional story will many who are still in the "shock phase of accepting their new reality as a positively charged individual. A "look inside" is an excellent way to adapt and gain perspective. I've been virally enhanced since January 1991. My goad is to die of old age. So far so good. Let's get thorough this together, OK D? Be well.

I know you are extremely busy -- I will try this away -- I am staying away from close ones - Don't want to hurt anybody!
worried about me and my son