I know you are extremely busy -- I will try this away -- I am staying away from close ones - Don't want to hurt anybody!

Dearest Dr. Bob,

I actually posted two issues and will post them above one another. I know you are busy, but goodness, I am having such a hard time with this, that now I am not getting near anybody(family, friends,ect..)until I know the answers to my experience. I will await your answer. You tend to help all-I hope you can help me.

Thank You & God Bless, Kelleen ---------------------------------------------------- I had a very scary experience. Well, it is scary to me and I believe I cannot function till I hear the answer from you Dr. Bob the Expert.

I came out of a Sports Store in a Scottsdale strip mall. There was a garbage container (can) there. On of the large cement ones with the bags in it. The kind you see everywhere. I threw something away as I was leaving the sports store and I needed to get back what I threw away. After driving out of the lot,I turned around to go back to the store and looked into the outside waste can. I put my hand in there not thinking about a PAPER CUT I have on my index finger and grabbed my receipt out of the waste container. My hand hit other things in the waste can that people have thrown away. I STUPIDLY used my hand with the paper cut on it. No Bandage -- Nothing -- Bare-handed!! My question is ,,, What if my hand hit some things that people who are HIV + threw away.. I am sure this is a very stupid question but please help me with this. I have NO BANDAGE or anything on my finger. I Bare Handedly put my hand in the waste container to get my receipt and brushed against other waste (things that people threw away).

Please Dr. Bob - What are my chances of catching HIV this way by my finger with the PAPER CUT hitting the other waste?

Should I test now over this experience?

I read through your archives and really didn't see anything for this. What I did read though -- I love your answers,, Impossible, Completely Nonexistent, No Way, No How, HIV is definitely not your problem. I even read one person you answered beyond nonexistent. Then Quantum leap beyond nonexistent. How nice is that!!! It does show I did my home work and read your forum.

Dr. Bob, I am a visual person. could you please give me the answers above that would best answer my experience. Again, What are my chances of catching HIV from the above experience? I just would like to put this past me.

Please supply me with a place to donate as well as this is a question that deserves a nice donation.

Dearest Dr. Bob, I desribed to you my Trash Experience. One final question. What if my Un-bandaged, Bare Handed Index finger with the paper cut on it,,,, going through the Trash --- I'm sure you read my dihlemma. What if my finger bumped into, ran or rubbed across a Dirty ,, Wound Up Used Diaper. If the child was a HIV+ child,,, What is my chances of catching the HIV virus? This is the only other question I will have. You are the Best,

Thank You, Keleen

Hello Kelleen,

I didn't respond to your previous posts, because I hoped you would search the archives and find a number of similar questions, all of which have identical answers: (no risk!Even though you claim to have done your archives "homework," I can assure you that similar questions are indeed there.

Briefly responding to your concerns:

1. Your HIV-acquisition risk from reaching into a garbage container outside a Scottsdale strip mall is essentially nonexistent, even though you had a paper cut. HIV testing is not warranted.

2. Regarding the dirty diaper hypothesis, again, your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. HIV does not live very long at all outside the body. Plus, neither urine nor poop (without visible blood) can transmit HIV!

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's web site at www.concertedeffort.org.

Kelleen or Keleen (you spelled your name differently on your two posts), although I am not at all concerned about your acquiring HIV, I am indeed concerned about your irrational fears of HIV and your equally irrational and totally unwarranted behavior ("I am not getting near anybody, family, friend, etc. . . .") If my reassurance is not enough for you to shake your irrational fears and behaviors, I would recommend you seek counseling (psychotherapy) to help you confront and conquer your fears. If needed psychologically (there is no medical justification), you could get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The result will undoubtedly be negative, but if it helps to put your anxiety permanently to rest, it may be worth the effort. The bottom line is that your HIV-acquisition risk is a "quantum leap beyond nonexistent" and therefore not your problem. However, you do have a problem -- irrational fear-- which may well need attention and treatment. Good luck. Be well.

Follow up on testing question
I now have HIV! (for the newly diagnosed)