Question on blood test..

Dr Bob, this site is great, it has scared me at times and calmed me sometimes..

I had a very risky exposure on the 2nd January, had some symptoms like swollen throat and neck pain. I had a full blood test today, the results came in 15 minutes, and the doctor told me I have nothing to worry about. He said that there was no inflamation in my blood and that my white blood cells and lymphs are perfect. I asked him how about HIV, he said that would have shown up on the test.

Im a bit concerned because I dont know what kind of test they actually did carry out, from the receipt it is saying; Hematology 2 Ht/Hb/RBC/WBC/Plt Hematology 3 WBC diff/morphology CRP

Do any of these tests actually pick up HIV at 10 weeks?

Thanks A Middel Eastern Admirer in Tokyo

Hello Middle Eastern Admirer in Tokyo,

Unfortunately the doctor you saw is woefully uninformed! Routine hematology tests like the ones you had cannot diagnose HIV or rule it out. The only way to determine if you've acquired the virus is to take an HIV-specific test. The best diagnostic test is an HIV-antibody test (ELISA, EIA, rapid test) taken at the three-month mark.

Montagnier
Differences/Accuracy of HIV testing