Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Frascino, please answer my question. Donation promised.
Mar 15, 2010

Dr. , I have used Elidel cream for the anal area for the skin tags/hemmoroids for about 2 years. I used to use the cream on and off as needed. I used to scratch the anal area a lot, and draw blood. I see that in your forms you told that topical steroids/creams will not have any effect on the HIV antibody test.

I have read in the Elidel website that they dont recommend usage of Elidel over 2 weeks, Here is what the Elidel website says, Important safety Information, "When you and your doctor find that other treatments arent right for you or your child, your doctor may prescribe ELIDEL. ELIDEL is for mild to moderate eczema. Repeat as needed with breaks in between. in adults and children 2 and older. Use ELIDEL for short periods when you, or your child, have symptoms, as directed by your doctor. Repeat as needed with breaks in between.

The safety of using ELIDEL cream for a long period of time is not known. A very small number of people who have used ELIDEL Cream have had skin cancer or lymphoma . However, a link with the use of ELIDEL Cream has not been shown.

Because of this

Do not use ELIDEL Cream continuosly for a long time

Use ELIDEL Cream only on areas of your skin that have eczema

Do not use ELIDEL Cream on a child under 2 years old]] I used it for more than year in the past almost upto two years, the last wast in 2007. I might have applied the cream to the anal area around 50 to 60 times so far.

I am worried that I might have got skin cancer of lymphoma from using the ELIDEL. I am more worried about if I have got skin cancer or lymphoma, will that affect my HIV antibody test result?

I got tested 2 years after my last exposure. Can I move ? Or do you recommend some other test?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your HIV-antibody test results would not be affected by your use of Elidel cream from 2005-2007. Your fears about skin cancer, lymphoma and inaccurate HIV test results are all unwarranted. No further HIV testing is warranted.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV in bone marrow and Follow up from you are an AMAZING guy but are you ever going to answer my question
Next
Bareback sex with a Positive Partner

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.