WHY SHOULDNT WE READ A RAPID TEST PAST 15 TO 20 MIN?
Mar 14, 2010
Dear King of many hearts around this terrestrial ball, greetings to you. As the title reads 1.I would like to know as to why the 20 min mark for reading results 2. Why some people sero convert in two weeks and some longer from the time of initial infection. Thanking you, your sincerely.. Zambian counseller.
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. Why shouldn't rapid tests be read beyond the recommended 20- 40 minute time limit? Well, the same reason you wouldn't bake a pie for an additional several hours after it was fully cooked. You'd burn the pie and ruin it to the point it would no longer be appetizing or even edible! The immune-chemical reaction used in rapid HIV tests is designed to be read at a certain point. Beyond that the reaction and chemicals can change, making interpretation more difficult to assess and less accurate.
2. This involves many factors, including viral factors (viral strain, viral load, etc.) and host factors (immune system integrity, concurrent illnesses, etc.).
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Can I Do To Ease The Pain From Genital Herpes?
- What Are The Side Effects Of Herpes?
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Herpes Through Unprotected Sex?
- What Are Over The Counter Treatments For Genital Warts?
- Is Uti Medication The Same As Gonorrhea?
- What Is The Best Way To Keep Bacterial Vaginosis Away?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.