Rapid Antibody Test

Hi Dr. Bob,

Although I realize the normal window for HIV testing is three months, what do you think of a negative result for HIV-1/HIV-2 Rapid Antibody Test at eight weeks?

I have another appointment at the the three month mark to be more certain of my status. A month sure does seem far though.

It's incredible what worry can do to a person. Thanks for all you do ... you sure make a difference for many.

Mark

Hi Mark,

What do I think about a negative eight-week HIV-1/2 rapid test? I think it's encouraging and that it's four weeks too early to be definitive. Hopefully you'll find it reassuring to note that the vast majority of HIV-infected folks have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibody in their blood within four to six weeks following primary infection.

I donated another 20 because you read my question.
WHY SHOULDNT WE READ A RAPID TEST PAST 15 TO 20 MIN?