Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Am I really hiv+
Mar 14, 2010

Hi Dr. Robert ! I would like to thank you first for your big good heart ,that you have! My question ,that is killing me now for 2 months is- I had unprotected sex with an african (cameroon)on the 12.1.2010.After two weeks ,I became completely sick, like I ve never been in my life.I got kind of a flu-also fever (37,8), and my body was itching me sooo much,(rashes also).Later, till now ,I have headaches on the neck, kind of a stiff neck and I am sweating at nigt, threw a day ,I sweat on my legs, that I never did...The problem is, that he probably had viremia -he was in his country month before, and later he told me, he had the same problems a little before me...( nice guy:( I did testing on 3 week (Elisa 4th generation -in Italy),6 week and now 8 week. They were negative.But I am afraid, cause in West Africa there are subtypes, that Elisa can not recognice so fast. Am I right? I hope ,you can answer me ... Please .. Thank you soo much for your effort on this forum, I appreciate, everything good, come back double good! Best for you ,and sorry for my bad language.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your decision to have unprotected sex places you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. That your partner was from Cameroon (West Africa) increases your risk for HIV-2.

The good news is that you've tested negative repeatedly out to eight weeks. The vast majority of (although not all) folks who are HIV infected will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibody in their blood within four to six weeks following HIV primary infection (exposure). Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Rely on your test results, not symptoms. My advice is to get an HIV-1 and HIV-2 antibody test at the three-month mark, as HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered conclusive.

Good luck. I'm confident this experience has taught you that unprotected sex is not worth the potentially catastrophic consequences.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Equally Accurate?
Next
Doantion returned...?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.