Birmingham hip resurfacing and surgery with an HIV person

I asked this before, but Im going to rephrase the question. You replied that it was not favorable to have a hip resurfacing when a person has AIDS. But I do not have AIDS. I was diaganosed with HIV in 2004 and am a healthy male who needs to have hip resurfaciing? My doctors want to do a hip replacement, and I feel that hip replacement is more invasive as your are dealing with bone marrow and placing a rod like device into your femur. Where as a hip resurfacing is not as invasive and deals with reshaping the head of the femur and the socket of the hip. Can you please clarify which is safer and which surgery is less invasive, and which surgery would have the quicker time for recovery? Also, if you could point me in a direction to where I can find a surgeon who will do a hip resurfacing for an HIV person, Thanks

Hello Gary,

As I mentioned last time, I am not an orthopedic surgeon and therefore cannot advise you regarding the risks versus benefits of the two procedures. I merely passed on to you what the Food and Drug Administration has stated about the hip resurfacing procedure. See below. If your doctors prefer hip replacement, most likely they have sound medical reasons for doing so. Prior to getting any elective surgery performed, I suggest getting a second opinion. Ask your HIV specialist for a referral to an HIV-knowledgeable orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion on which procedure would be best for you. (I have no idea where you live.) I urge you to follow the recommendations of the trained specialists. They really do have your best interests at heart.

Related post from the archive: Hiv and Hip Resurfacing

OK ,, I THINK A LITTLE OF YOU RUBBED OFF ON ME -- READ ON
Platelet Donor + False Positive Test