OK ,, I THINK A LITTLE OF YOU RUBBED OFF ON ME -- READ ON

Dr. Bob, I have one last question. And a good deed well done -- hopefully with your blessing.

We will hang at the Academy Awards, SAG's ,, Grammy's and Oscars if you like.. I will give you an invitation. Just watch and see. Now on with my concern.

I took a person in for an HIV test that could not afford one. I paid for the test to help the person out. because your good deeds have NOW rubbed off on me.

Now here we go again:

Earlier in the morning, I trimmed a finger nail too far back to the point of it stinging (again) I know what you're going to say -- Keep away from the clippers. In the afternoon I took the person to a place they call Lab Xpress. A place where all they do is all types of testing ,, So I am sure a lot of blood and urine is drawn. After paying for the other persons test. I picked up the paper work off of the front counter ( which is made from stained wood ) I folded the paper work on the counter and I am definitely positive the tips of my fingers did indeed touched the counter numerous times in the process of folding the paper work. Especially the finger that is stinging from the trim job. I am not wearing any band aid either. My hand is Bare Naked. :) ,,, Actually I am very concerned because my hand wans not covered -- I touched this counter top plenty,,, Bare Handed - with this finger!!

I came back to my office and my mind started going into overdrive and playing tricks on me. I went into the kitchen to get a drink. Water with lemon. I squeezed the lemon and when the lemon juice hit the tip of my finger --- OOOOUUUCCCHHH !!!

So now I know that my skin ( cut job ) is exposed and nothing covering it. I started thinking about the counter top at the lab. I don't know who goes in and out of there and who has touched the counter top or not ,, or what was on their hands or what shape their hands are in. -- Let me just get straight to the point.

What are my chances of catching HIV from that counter top? Let's just say EVERYBODY that was in that office today was a HIV + person. They all touched the counter top!!! I was in there for at least 2-5 minutes by myself before I even touched the counter. So at least that amount of time went by.

Now I'm freaking out. Thought I was doing a good deed and ugggh!!! Now I'm anxiety ridden.

Should I test? What should I do? I don't know if I can even wait 3 months with this amount of anxiety running through me.

Well,, in any scenario that you can think of ,, and Doc really think of them all. What are my chances of catching HIV this way?

Thank You again, in advance for looking at my concerns,

YOUR BFF Phil

p.s. I think you know who my dad was by now on the show.

Hello Phil,

Once again your fears are completely unwarranted and your HIV-acquisition risk is completely nonexistent. ("No way. No how.") HIV is a fragile retrovirus that does not survive outside the human body. It is relatively difficult to acquire. For instance, even in the case of a direct occupational exposure (such as mine), where a hollow-bore needle filled with fresh HIV-tainted blood causes a deep puncture wound and laceration in a health care worker treating an ill AIDS patient, the HIV-acquisition risk for the exposed health care worker is only 1 in 300! The chance you acquired such a fragile virus by rubbing your hand (with your owie) across a countertop at a laboratory is zero! zilch, nada, zip! OK? HIV is definitely not your problem. HIV testing is not warranted. I do believe, however, that you do have a psychological problem that requires attention. You have an irrational fear (phobia) of HIV. Irrational fears are incredibly common and directed at all sorts of targets: the dark, snakes, spiders, a Glenn Beck/Sarah Palin ticket winning in 2012. (Oh, that last one even scares me!) At any rate, these types of irrational fears cause considerable anxiety and can really ruin your day (and your life!). Counseling (psychotherapy) and anti-anxiety medications can help.

Regarding your good deed, BRAVO! Now we really are BFFs! If we would all be that generous and compassionate toward those in need, just think what a better place this world would be. I should also point out that over many years I've come to realize that whatever good we do in this world in the truest spirit of generosity and compassion is returned to us a thousand-fold. I'm delighted a little of me has rubbed off on you and now you in turn have "paid it forward." Nothing makes me happier.

So relax Phil. All, including you, is well. Get help for your anxiety if it's interfering with your health and happiness, OK?

Be well.

Dr. "BFF"

Update and Worry - Prive'
Birmingham hip resurfacing and surgery with an HIV person