Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

YEAST INFECTION: MYTH OR FACT?
Mar 11, 2010

I am a female who, after stupidly having unprotected hetero sex 2 years ago, has had 5 negative HIV tests (out to 15 months) without further exposure. Two of the tests I did at home using the Home Access Test, and 3 were rapid tests done at an Outreach Clinic with blood from my finger. My problem is this, I have had chronic, low-grade yeast infections (confirmed by my gyn) for the past 2 years (I am seeing my gyn AGAIN next week for more Diflucan). I read an article by Dr. Feinberg on this site that said "chronic vaginal yeast infections are a common early indicator of hiv infection in women", while Dr. Aberg said, "Chronic vaginal yeast infections are just as common in the hiv- population". Dr. Bob, please settle this tiresome arguement. Every time women open a box of Monistat, we are met with the dire warning about hiv infection. Thank You in Advance!

Thanks, Tested To Death

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Tested to Death,

Drs. Feinberg and Aberg are correct: "Chronic or recurrent vaginal yeast infections can be a common early indicator of HIV in women." This statement is an HIV awareness message meant to remind or inform women with recurrent vaginal yeast infections who have put themselves at risk for HIV to get an HIV test if they haven't already done so. However, it's equally factual to state that the vast majority of vaginal yeast infections, even recurrent and/or chronic ones, have absolutely nothing to do with HIV/AIDS! So if a woman needs to pop a box of Monistat for a vaginal yeast infection and she had absolutely no HIV risk exposure or has been HIV-antibody tested outside the window period from her last potential exposure (like you), she has absolutely no reason to fear HIV! Hopefully that clears up the "tiresome argument" once and for all!

Be well! Thanks for your question. I'm sure others have wondered and been confused by this as well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
ARS (ARS SYMPTOMS, 2010)
Next
Advice needed Dr Bob

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.